Thread: Chrome OS a hit or a miss ..????

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Chrome OS a hit or a miss ..????

Interesting that the two reviews I've read about Chrome OS (PC World and Engadget), mentioned the hardware reminded them of the black Macbook of a few years back.

I think this could be an interesting development, because it would make the "network computer" finally come to life. In order to succeed, it would need pervasive, fast, Internet connectivity, but that's happening. 4G cellular networks and Internet access on planes are being implemented rather quickly, so you can get an Internet connection almost anywhere, and the network computer (and ChromeOS) begins to make sense in that scenario.

If you throw out the cost and overhead of Windows, along with the headaches to manage it, the "netbook" becomes even more affordable and isn't just a small laptop anymore. You can probably get good performance out of a dual-core Atom processor and Broadcomm HD accelerator chip with ChromeOS. I'm really interested in the security features, and the ability to pass the computer around to others while still protecting your data.

However, IMO, the biggest obstacle to success is whether or not the user truly trusts "cloud computing" and Google. If there's any doubt in the user's mind that their data can be compromised or sold, ChromeOS won't take off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Chrome OS a hit or a miss ..????

It's really hard to say at this point, though I really admire Google's bravado for putting out a completely cloud-based product. For a netbook, I actually think it's a fantastic idea... after all isn't that what netbooks are mainly for? Using the Internet?
    Last edited by racie; December 10th, 2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: typo
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If I was to use such a service, I just wont put any sensitive data on there. I'll leave that for my laptop/desktop where I can control and and store locally.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans

I've used Jolicloud and I really like it because the interface is alot prettier than Ubuntu. If Google can create a nice interface then it could work. I think most power users will continue to opt for Windows on their netbooks though, because it offers them a greater selection of software choice than a Linux distro. Google should add Android compatibility to any OS they create.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i am waiting to see how UNR will run on that hardware
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans

OP: too early (read: WAY TOO EARLY) to say.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hit: for it's target audience
    Miss: for it's security flaws (Judging from the last build I downloaded, there are plenty)
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.