Thread: Changing video drivers to non-proprietary

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Changing video drivers to non-proprietary

I need to uninstall the NVidia driver I have installed. If I do this, while I'm using the driver what happens? Does it blow up the GUI? Harm the OS?

Once I reboot, will Karmic find some linux video driver inside itself and use it?

Can the NVidia drivers be removed during a LiveCD session, much like the OS not being mounted in a LiveCD session?
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Changing video drivers to non-proprietary

you can disable System-->Administration-->Hardware drivers and disable the nvidia driver in Live cd/normal installtion if you want. It will revert to lower resolution VESA drivers by default.

Why do you want to do that anyway?
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Why? you ask . . .

After d/l the Karmic "Desktop Install" cd, I changed from ext3 to ext 4.

Upon Karmic install, the screen or desktop, as it "comes up" had 2 problems. I have asked about this multiple times, and don't find a solution.

When the desktop is loaded, the cursor never turns into an arrow, it continues, indefinitely as round "loading" wheel (icon).

The top panel "cuts off" the applications as they run. The apps cannot be moved around the desktop, they are all locked "under" the panel, and the panel "cuts off" the top portion of whatever is there.

I hope that answers your question.
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_Hollywood View Post
    Why? you ask . . .

After d/l the Karmic "Desktop Install" cd, I changed from ext3 to ext 4.

Upon Karmic install, the screen or desktop, as it "comes up" had 2 problems. I have asked about this multiple times, and don't find a solution.

When the desktop is loaded, the cursor never turns into an arrow, it continues, indefinitely as round "loading" wheel (icon).

The top panel "cuts off" the applications as they run. The apps cannot be moved around the desktop, they are all locked "under" the panel, and the panel "cuts off" the top portion of whatever is there.

I hope that answers your question.
    Ok! As i have read your other post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8462855 where you don't want to solve Nvidia problem. I guess i have answered your query and now you can mark this thread as solved from thread tools. have fun!!
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I am marking this as "solved", as it tells me whether I can uninstall an active driver.

I did the uninstall, next I warm-booted. The same problem appeared. I selected "Normal" from Appearances and the OS went to the 'net, found the NVidia driver I had previously uninstalled, installed it, said to re-boot and select "Normal", again.

I did as it requested, on clicking "Normal" it did a search for drivers and after clicking "Keep Settings", the desktop is as before. Yet, every time I boot, I must go through all this again.