Thread: Macbook pro 3,1 after Kernel upgrade won't boot - What do I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Macbook pro 3,1 after Kernel upgrade won't boot - What do I do?

I have Ubuntu 9.10 (upgraded from 9.04) on a 17" Macbook Pro(3,1) with rEFIt. I have been doing software development professionally on it for the past ~ 8 months and have been using Karmic on it for the past month. Go Ubuntu in the workplace!!

Last night I had a kernel upgrade come across the update manager. I installed it, and rebooted the system without issue.

I left the system on overnight and used it a little bit in the morning.
    When I shut it down before going to work - it didn't shut down all the way so I let it sit for a minute, then held the power button down to shut it down the hard way.

When I got to work this morning, the laptop wouldn't boot. It didn't even give USB power to my keyboard & mouse.

I tried all sorts of Apple startup key combos but none of them seemed to work. I got a Linux LiveCD and stuck it in there and after that it gave USB power for a little bit.

It occasionally chimed like it was going to boot but didn't.

After ~ 20 minutes, I tried another key combo (that I had tried before) and it started into the grey screen then my rEFIt menu.

At the end of the day, I shut it down and it wouldn't boot all over again.

Later in the evening when I went to figure this out it took 10 minutes of trying startup key combos before I could get it to boot up. This time I chose OSX so that I could re-enable rEFIt. I ended up installing an OSX update for which it rebooted and came back up to my rEFIt boot menu. I booted again into OSX and ran the /efi/refit/always-enable.sh script

After shutting down, I am unable to get the machine to boot now. It won't even chime or give me back my boot CD (which it would eventually do previously)

I am at a loss on what I could try to revive this machine.

What can I do? Any ideas or pointers?

Do you think that a new Kernel could have anything to do with this?

When I did a hard shutdown, what might I have corrupted?

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Macbook pro 3,1 after Kernel upgrade won't boot - What do I do?

So this one turned out to be hardware failure. The Motherboard died. Apple fixed it under Apple Care and it was back to me fairly speedily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Macbook pro 3,1 after Kernel upgrade won't boot - What do I do?

can you make this post solved ?
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org