Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no root file system is defined

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Cool no root file system is defined

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 9.10 but I receive this message:

"no root file system is defined. please correct this from the partitioniing menu." This occurs in step 4 of 7 of the install process. I have tried installing in both the "try Ubuntu" and "install Ubuntu now" options.

I've been with Ubuntu for four years and have never had an issue with any of the previous versions. I'm trying to install on a brand new Intel system. I thought perhaps Ubuntu couldn't "see" the hard drive but it sees it in the partitioning manager (Gparted) and the disk manager (Palimpset). I formatted the partition with ext2. Why is it doing this? Anyone have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: no root file system is defined

You might be trying to continue to step 5 without setting mount point for / and hence the message. When you say you created ext2 partition was it during step 4 or earlier when booted with the LiveCD? It is not enough to create partition in advance (in fact it's better not to create them in advance), but you have to tell the installer to use it and for what.
    Any why ext2 and not ext4?
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans
    Distro

darkod,

first i had XP installed with some raw space open for Ubuntu to grab. That didn't work because it didn't see the open space. Then I created a partition beforehand (which I see you discouraged.) I then just had the raw space there for Ubuntu didn't use. So I then created the partition using ext2 because that was the default choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

OK, but you need at least two partitions in fact, / and swap. Also, did you go into manual partitioning at step 4 and select mount point / for the created partition? I think that was the error, and when you try to continue it gives message no / defined.
    Start the process again booting with the ubuntu cd, selecting Install Ubuntu. At step 4 select Manual Partitioning. It will show you your hdd and all the partitions and unallocated space if you have any.
    Delete this ext2 partition that you created. It will turn into unallocated space. Click that space and create new logical partition, ext4 and select / for mount point. Calculate the size of this partition so that you have enough space left for swap in the unallocated space. swap should be the size of your ram or at least 2GB. After creating partition for / there should be unallocated space left for swap, so just create another logical partition in the whole remained space, select swap as filesystem and swap area as mount point.
    After that the installer should continue without problems.
    Darko.

Beans
    Distro

ok, HOW do i do that? when i get to step 4 the only option that is available is "revert". i would love to set the partition sizes manually but i never see an optioin to do so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Don't you have the Specify Partitions Manually option like on the picture? (it's not selected in this picture, just shown for example)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darko.

Beans
    Distro

not at all! i wish i did... look at my attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Hi Switch, before you do anything else, I would recommend checking the integrity of the CD for errors. (This is an option on the first screen after you boot from the Live CD.)

Your screenshot is not the normal behavior for the installer; I would be worried that a malfunctioning partitioner could lead to all sorts of trouble.

Beans
    Distro

dang it... i did the MD5 checksum deal and it matched up... i'll try what you suggest snowpine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've seen that. I didn't understand you previously. Traces of raid settings can do that. If you are not running raid, boot with the cd, Try Ubuntu option and in terminal do:
    sudo apt-get remove dmraid

Afterwards reboot with the cd again and go with Install Ubuntu and if that was your problem you'll be fine.
    Darko.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast