Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.10 latest daily update won't start after restart

Beans

9.10 latest daily update won't start after restart

I installed the latest updates (for 9.10 which has been working flawlessly) and noted this morning that a restart was required. After restart it hangs up with ubuntu logo without progress bar. Tried it a number of times got it to work once but eventually it quit. After restart, the same thing.

Tried recovery mode with no relief, although I'm not sure I understand what to do with it. At some point I end up with only a command line to log into which I can do. After that there isn't much choice so I type in 'reboot' and it gets stuck the same way after rebooting.

Also tried booting from the previous kernel with no change.

Computer is home built using Asus PcT Deluxe V2 Motherboard, Intel I7 processor.

No error messages .... just nothing happens.

Beans

Re: 9.10 latest daily update won't start after restart

I too am having a similar problem after an automatic update on 9.10. On bootup, I get:
    1. the Ubuntu name in the upper center part of the screen with the brownish background.
    2. Then the Ubuntu name moves over to the right and downward and becomes slightly larger.
    3. Then the GNOME logon sound starts and the Ububtu logo moves back to the upper center part of the screen.
    4. About 50% of the time the GNOME logon sound stops short and I'm presented with a logon box. I don't have the system set to require a logon at startup! When I enter my user ID and password, the process goes back to step 1 above and repeats, FOREVER! When I first got this problem I entered my User ID and password over 50 times, figuring it had something to do with the update. But, it never got to the Gnome desktop.
    5. The other 50% of the time, the GNOME logon sound plays fully, the OS boots perfectly, doesn't ask for a password and works perfectly thereafter.
    So, all I have to do is power the computer up and down a few times and eventually Ubuntu comes-up and works. Annoying!
    My computer is a Compaq SR1300NX (Sempron 3000+ with Via chipset motherboard) with 512 MB of RAM. I have a dual-boot system with Ubuntu and Windows XP on separate drives.
    It looks like some sort of bug associated with the large (28 MiB) update that immediately preceded these problems.
    --Jack--

Beans

This one is effecting me as well. System is running in 64b mode using recent AMD quad core, AMD 790 core logic and ATI r580 gfx.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Red face Re: 9.10 latest daily update won't start after restart

I'm having the same issue on my Toshiba Satellite.

The last updates I installed were kernel upgrades. There were 4 of them, but I can't remember the names. They installed fine, and then when i rebooted the computer it started up and gives me an Kubuntu loading screen and starts loading the OS. About halfway through it looks like the graphics driver dies and the screen goes black, but it still responds to keypresses with noise.

Not sure how to fix it. Basically I just want to remove the broken kernel upgrades and boot it into the previous version, but I don't know how.

Beans

I actually got it to work now by holding down alt and f1 during boot. I have no idea if this is permanent. I am afraid to restart it.

Beans

I'm having the same issue, after the last update. All I get is a sh.grub promt. My Ubuntu is installed with WUBI.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm having a similar problem. I downloaded some updates about a week ago. After I updated my system, I couldn't start Ubuntu.

Mine starts up, gives me a warning that Nautilus couldn't create the necessary folders. Then nothing happens and I just get my desktop image, no terminal or whatsoever.

During the updates, I got an error regarding ttf-mscorefonts. I didn't pay attention to this message, as I get it every time I install something.

Beans

Witloofboer, that sounds a bit different than the problem I've encountered. After updating last Sunday, i can no longer get to the KDM login screen.

I haven't looked this machine since Sunday and won't get a chance til next weekend.

If I can at least get to a command prompt then I think i will try to build an older version of the kernel 2.6.31-15 to see if that fixes the problem.

Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Jackfarrow View Post
    I too am having a similar problem after an automatic update on 9.10. On bootup, I get: 1. the Ubuntu name in the upper center part of the screen with the brownish background. 2. Then the Ubuntu name moves over to the right and downward and becomes slightly larger. 3. Then the GNOME logon sound starts and the Ububtu logo moves back to the upper center part of the screen. 4. About 50% of the time the GNOME logon sound stops short and I'm presented with a logon box. I don't have the system set to require a logon at startup! When I enter my user ID and password, the process goes back to step 1 above and repeats, FOREVER! When I first got this problem I entered my User ID and password over 50 times, figuring it had something to do with the update. But, it never got to the Gnome desktop. 5. The other 50% of the time, the GNOME logon sound plays fully, the OS boots perfectly, doesn't ask for a password and works perfectly thereafter. So, all I have to do is power the computer up and down a few times and eventually Ubuntu comes-up and works. --Jack--
    I have this problem too!

But I have got a bit farther, I clicked on a box below the login box (I cant remember what is was called) and got a Black screen with a White box the needs a command.

I can make the system shut down by useing the Command, sudo shutdown -h now

But when I restart again I get back to the same window.

I guess I could make it do something else but I am a Newbie and am not familiar with the commands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast