Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Delay the touchpad tap while typing

Beans

Re: Delay the touchpad tap while typing

Googling suggests that the Inspiron 11z has an "Elan Smart-Pad" instead of a Synaptics touchpad. Much like with the Sentelics, they're likely cheaper so Dell chose to save a buck.

Q: Where can I download the Elan's driver?
    Please download it from your system manufacturer's website.
    I think the only real way to get standard touchpad functionality of it is to have Elan provide linux drivers. You could either contact Dell and see if you can get more than canned responses from them, or write a mail to Elan themselves. Since it looks like they have the policy that users should get their drivers from the manufacturers, for all I know they have linux drivers laying about, and it's just up to Dell to start distributing them.

Or they could just be an up-and-coming Taiwanese company who has put priority on writing Windows software to get out onto the market faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ive just learnt that my Asus 17" lappy (K70IC) has a Elantech pad also. Ill try to get onto them with what info i now have.

Cheers for the guidance.

-----
    EDIT
    -----

http://arjan.opmeer.net/elantech/

just found that.. what ya think ?
    Last edited by QuanTime; December 14th, 2009 at 09:40 AM.

Beans

Well, if you indeed have an Elantech pad (dmesg | grep -i elantech), and it's not being recognized by the Synaptics driver, then perhaps you need to do as that page says and contact the maintainer to have its device ID added.

Beans

According to the link that QuanTime mentioned,
    I need kernel 2.6.28 or newer and Xorg Synaptics driver 0.99.1 or newer.
    it looks like I have xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.1.2-1ubuntu7
    I am confused. do i need to install anything or do I have everything needed for my touchpad to be recognized?

Zorel, can you elaborate about "ontact the maintainer to have its device ID added" I am not sure if it's relevant to me.

Thanks!

uname -r
    Code:
    2.6.31-16-generic
    dpkg -l |grep syna
    Code:
    ii  gsynaptics                                 0.9.16-2                                   configuration tool for Synaptics touchpad driver of X server
    ii  synaptic                                   0.62.7ubuntu6                              Graphical package manager
    ii  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics               1.1.2-1ubuntu7                             Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think our hardware ID doesnt match the list that the driver has, so its not registering. Im not sure how to fix / add it.
    It was the same with the webcam and lib4vl drivers. It just needed the hardware ID for it to work properly.

Am i wrong in saying this ?

Beans

I contacted the maintainer and will update if he replies.
    also, dmesg | grep elan returns nothing.
    What do u guys see when you type it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

same.. nothing.. but when i mod my ps2 mouse, it mods the touchpad.. so its just identifying wrong.

Beans

I contacted dell and they told me to call the "direct number for ubuntu - 1-866-982-8688"

I called this number (it's Canonical), left a message but they didn't reply.
    I'll call again next week but please call them as well!

I will try to call Elan, the manufacturer of the touchpad if Canonical keeps ignoring me.

I found another thread about this issue. Dell mini 10 (not 10V) has elantech as well:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...06#post8713106
    Last edited by orengolan; January 23rd, 2010 at 10:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

im curious.. EEEpc touch works fine with the extra functions, and they are elantech. Maybe the hardware ID isnt correctly being identified. So once new models are added to the list, everything will work ?

This is what happened with my laptop webcam. once it was added, everything worked perfectly.

Anyone know who the package maintainer for elantech is ? maybe thats an option.

Beans

I submitted the bug on Launchpad:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...cs/+bug/512192

Please go there and change the status to 'Confirm' so Ubuntu developers will understand that it's a hardware issue and not something specific to me.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast