I would like to try Ubuntu's file system indexing/search feature "tracker" under System > Preferences > Search and Indexing. I brought that up and clicked "Enable Indexing" (this is a laptop) but unclicked the Power Management disables, so it should always run. When I do "top" I see nothing consuming significant resources, the disk is not spinning, and "ps" shows nothing with "track" in the name running. If I run tracker-search-tool manually I get "cannot connect to search service, as it may be busy." I see nothing notable in /var/log/syslog. I do not have a ~/.Tracker, hence no log file. /etc/xdg/autostart/trackerd.desktop does not contain "Hidden", so it should be enabled. When I run /usr/lib/tracker/trackerd -v=1 manually it seems to run (still waiting to see if it completes without errors, it will be a while). This is a laptop, but I unclicked the power management stuff, and 'acpi" reports I am on mains power anyway.

I'd like it to run automagically, though, rather than running it manually.

I looked in these forums and found nothing to help. I also looked at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Tracker

Any suggestions about how to figure out why it does not run automatically? Thanks.

BTW, despite the problems other folks have reported with trackerd clobbering their CPU, etc., I see it making very low use and the system remains responsive. I have the indexing speed set way down. Oh, and this is Ubuntu 9.10 on an x86-32 laptop.