Thread: Fixing recursive faults but reboot is needed

Beans

Fixing recursive faults but reboot is needed

I'm working as a volunteer for a non-profit NGO which recycle, and refurbish, computers.
    Last year we got some hundreds old PC (Compaq Deskpro EN, Pentium III, 320MB) which work quite well with xubuntu 10.04. Therefore we distributed some dozens of computers based on this SO.
    Last month I tried to install xubuntu 11.04 and I'm getting into troubles.
    After the grub page and before the login page you will see white spots instead of text but later on you get the right login screen and things seem to work. Putting 'GRUB_TERMINAL=console' on /etc/default/grub I avoided the spots point but not the real problem
    But if you try to logout, to close a session, once each two tries, you will get a crash (Fixing recursive faults but reboot is needed).
    Hereafter you will see a trace from kern.log.
    Looking at the forums it seems (I'm not sure) it could been related with the graphic card (i810e 82815 CGC) and the current Kernel (2.3.6.38. ).
    Is there any plan to correct this problem or should I go back to the xu 10.04?
    Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks in advance
    Quique
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Fixing recursive faults but reboot is needed

Why 11.04 ? the latest is 11.10 , perhaps the newer version might work better .

Beans

Often we send computers to places without any support. Therefore we try to be conservative, prudent.
    So it seems better to use LTS and not too recent releases.

Otherwise, if the problem is related with new kernels may be the solution will be a downgrade and not an upgrade.
    In any case if you suggest 11.10 I would try it.
    Quique

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Perhaps you should stick with 10.04 , till 12.04 then. but 11.10 Xubuntu works great for me (with a few tweaks.