Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karmic to Lucid Upgrade Stalls

Beans

Karmic to Lucid Upgrade Stalls

Specifically, after downloading the necessary packages, they get unpacked up through package "tzdata", at which point the following appears:

Processing triggers for man-db...
    Processing triggers for doc-base...
    Processing 2 changed doc-base file(s)...
    Registering documents with scrollkeeper...

At which point the upgrade stalls (just blinking cursor at the console, not frozen), and I'm unable to stop it (even with ctrl-alt-C). Has anyone encountered a similar problem, and/or know a way to safely stop the upgrade (it doesn't look like it's actually installed any of the unpacked packages yet)?

Thank you.

Beans

Re: Karmic to Lucid Upgrade Stalls

Probably on a related note, the desktop is broken as well--I can't open any new nautilus windows and if I open up a new console, it is entirely unresponsive (I try to type, but nothing appears). Other applications seem unaffected (e.g., Gedit works just fine).

Beans

Not to tag-along off of your post, but I have a similar problem.

During my upgrade the unpacking and everything went fine. It was during the "Installing Packages" portion, when it got to the linux-headers, the entire system froze. No mouse, no caps-lock, nothing. I left it there for about half an hour and nothing progressed. I had no choice but to shut the system down....

Obviously I don't have a working system now, and have no idea how to go about fixing.

Anyone have any starting points, or are we both destined to fresh installs?

***EDIT***
    I should note, that I cannot even boot into the recovery console. I am booted to a liveUSB of 10.04 right now.
    Last edited by Maliron; April 29th, 2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: More info

Beans

From my liveUSB I've chroot'ed over to my install and I am trying the following.

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    sudo apt-get -f install
    sudo apt-get --fix-missing
    /crossing_my_fingers
    Last edited by Maliron; April 29th, 2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Grammar

Beans

I just did the same thing and got karmic back up and running, minus some config files. I very much hope things are going well on your end--there are few things scarier than a broken OS!

Thanks.

Beans

Glad to hear the good news! Mine is a bit more sorted. It seems the upgrade got a lot further than I thought. The above steps got me a semi booting system again. I get the Lucid boot splash, but it hangs and says:

"An error occurred while mounting /proc/bus/usb"

It gives me the option to S Skip or M Manual recovery. Hopefully I can figure out what's causing that to not mount and maybe be in luck here. When I get a chance though I think this system is destined for an entire rebuild, they never seem to run right after something like this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Maliron View Post
    Glad to hear the good news! Mine is a bit more sorted. It seems the upgrade got a lot further than I thought. The above steps got me a semi booting system again. I get the Lucid boot splash, but it hangs and says:

It gives me the option to S Skip or M Manual recovery. Hopefully I can figure out what's causing that to not mount and maybe be in luck here. When I get a chance though I think this system is destined for an entire rebuild, they never seem to run right after something like this.

Have exactly the same problem . In /etc/fstab , the last line says :
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0
    presumably the correction should be done there but I am too newbie to change fstab.
    Help please !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Same here. For my system that last line was added for VirtualBox. I commented it out and everything is fine now.
    Last edited by Dubbayoo; April 30th, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
    Intel Core i7-2600K | Corsair Hydro H80 Cooler | ASUS P8Z68-V board | Corsair Obsidian 650 case | CORSAIR Pro HX650 | CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1866 | GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6870 1GB | Intel 510 120GB SSD | WD Green 640GB | Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM LED

Beans

Same problem while booting... :
    S skip to continue or M to manual

What to do to resolve this ?

Thanks

Beans

Same problem while booting...
    Doesn't seem to have any effect I can detect. USB mouse and external drive work fine.
    Fix anyone? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast