Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffin Powermate (package for volume control and shutdown)

Beans

Re: Griffin Powermate (package for volume control and shutdown)

Fantastic. I have tried many things that haven't worked. Finally you have provided something that does!

Many Thanks,

Beans

Here we go!

This is a good one for Ubuntu 10.10. Works on boot and for every user on the system.
    I was waiting for this so long ...

The new "Unity Desktop" which will be default with Ubuntu 11.04 gives a great opportunity for the powermate. Maybe the desktop can be fully controlled with the powermate device.

Let's see what future releases bring...

Greetings from Germany

Stoned

PS:
    Feedback is very welcome!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Thanks for this, StonedOne. I downloaded, installed maryjoana-powermate and got it working on 10.10.

One issue I ran into was that /usr/sbin/evrouter wasn't executable. After manually

chmod a+x /usr/bin/evrouter

all worked well.

One question though -- is there a way to change the sensitivity on the powermate? I'd like to make it less sensitive, as it is I tend to blast volume to max by accidentally turning it the wrong way...

Thanks

Beans

Your right, on my tests i update the package and it worked because the old evrouter file was executable.

I will correct this and build a new package.

Right now i have problems with the timed poweroff command. All scripts are executed as expected but the command "poweroff" does not work when executed through powermate script.

Anyone else has this problem?

Stoned

Beans

@shpedoikal

The sensitivity could be less if you use a script to adjust the volume. Right now the volume is set directly through evrouter.

The config file "/etc/maryjoana/conf/evrouter" will give the change to set scripts behind powermate turns.

Then you can use something like amixer to set volume as you wish. If you have something reliable i can put it into the package.

Good luck...

Beans

@StonedOne

Thanks, I did edit evrouterrc to make the button mute instead of launch the shutdown script, which is great. For others, just change this:

"Griffin PowerMate" "" any key/256 "Shell//etc/maryjoana/scripts/init-shutdown.sh"
    to this:

"Griffin PowerMate" "" any key/256 "XKey/XF86AudioMute"
    I've got a script with a simple amixer command to only increment the volume by 1%, which works when launched standalone, but this line:

"Griffin PowerMate" "" any key/7/1 "Shell//etc/maryjoana/scripts/amixer_volume_up.sh"
    doesn't seem to make evrouter launch it. I've played with permissions a little with no luck. Any luck debugging the issue with the shutdown script? Maybe we're hitting the same issue here...

Shpedoikal

Beans

Attaching the volume scripts. They operate on the Master channel.

shpeodikal

Beans

I fixed my issue here. Using evrouter -d /dev/input/powermate, it suggested a slightly different format for my evrouterrc file. Based on those suggestions I slightly changed the evrouterrc to look like this:

Window ""
    "Griffin PowerMate" "/dev/input/powermate" none key/256 "XKey/XF86AudioMute"
    "Griffin PowerMate" "/dev/input/powermate" none rel/7/1 "SHELL//etc/maryjoana/scripts/amixer_volume_up.sh"
    "Griffin PowerMate" "/dev/input/powermate" none rel/7/-1 "SHELL//etc/maryjoana/scripts/amixer_volume_down.sh"
    Now it works just fine. Thanks @StonedOne

Beans

Hey it's great you can use the package as you want to, so it seams that it is not too complex

I fixed my issues with the "shutdown-timer.sh" now it also works user specific. If it is ok i added your amixer scripts for everyone who wants to use it. But i still think the default is the best setup. Because you can mute with lowering the volume and the push button is free for the timer.

Anyways the file "/etc/maryjoana/conf/evrouterrc" now contains all possible configuration, just use the lines you want to.

Thanks for the feedback...

Stoned

Beans

I just got my powermate today, and finding this readymade and up to date package really made my day.

I don't have anything more to contribute then a simple: Thank you!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast