Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: KDE 4.4 Beta 1

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: KDE 4.4 Beta 1

If you are getting crashes that bring up a crash dialog, some trace information might be a little helpful. I just tried out Amarok on Karmic with KDE SC 4.4 Beta 1, and didn't get it to crash. I was expecting it to though

As for Chromium crashing, as it seems over 19 hours ago, yesterday's chromium build was hosed for everyone, not just us running KDE Also Chromium is not Qt based at all, it is 100% GTK.

I was expecting there to be a lot more breakage considering we are dealing with the first beta release, but I was surprised. Only goofy things I had, like 2 bars on the bottom. So if a notice popped up, it popped up side-by-side as there were 2 system trays.

I will subscribe to this thread so I can keep an eye on it. Kubuntu developers need to not forget this wonderful resource is here. Thanks everyone!
    Richard Johnson (nixternal)
    Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council
    https://launchpad.net/~nixternal
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RichardJohnson
    http://www.nixternal.com

Beans

Digikam crashes instantly for me, plus installing Digikam removes Gwenview, and vice-versa, gah.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CbrPad View Post
    plus installing Digikam removes Gwenview, and vice-versa, gah.
    What are you talking about? Both are on my system here...and both run fine.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans

Admittedly I'm not testing KDE 4.4 on kubuntu but it's still looking to be pretty good as of the .83 snapshot.

Amarok-git doesn't recognise I have a collection but 2.2.1 does, and it plays with last fm + kmess support

Dolphin is much less prone to hanging when hovering over a file.

K3B is a bit hit and miss when ripping but ok at burning

Digikam + Ktorrent (albeit SVN versions) are working without issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Kipi plugins are the reason for the digikam/gwenview issues it seems. That is being worked on.
    Richard Johnson (nixternal)
    Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council
    https://launchpad.net/~nixternal
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RichardJohnson
    http://www.nixternal.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    What are you talking about? Both are on my system here...and both run fine.
    Hey i know you like to troll about how arch is so great all day, so here is you chance the issue is that on kubuntu there is a packaging conflict in 4.4b1

digikam 2:1.0.0~rc-1 depends on libkipi6
    gwenview 4:4.3.80 wants to install libkipi7 which conflicts with libkipi6
    If you use aptitude you'll be able to find a compromise and install
    gwenview 4:4.3.4

The issue is simply that digikam is not part of kde so has not been repackaged with kde and so depends on the libraries in 4.3 not 4.4.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xbehave View Post
    Hey i know you like to troll about how arch is so great all day, so here is you chance the issue is that on kubuntu there is a packaging conflict in 4.4b1

digikam 2:1.0.0~rc-1 depends on libkipi6
    gwenview 4:4.3.80 wants to install libkipi7 which conflicts with libkipi6
    If you use aptitude you'll be able to find a compromise and install
    gwenview 4:4.3.4

The issue is simply that digikam is not part of kde so has not been repackaged with kde and so depends on the libraries in 4.3 not 4.4.
    A development version doesn't work properly? *faints*

You can always compile digikam from SVN which fetches svn kipi-plugins

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic4 View Post
    A development version doesn't work properly? *faints*

Xbehave still doesn't care that he's on my ignore list, he just needs to cilck "reply" every chance he gets...and the only reason I know he exists is because others quote him. Oh, well.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic4 View Post
    You would have to make sure that digikam was compiled against libkipi7 (install libkipi7-dev and remove libkipi6-dev just to be sure), and you might run into problems if you forget and install other packages which depend on libkipi6 (kphotoalbum/showfoto and kubutu-desktop/kubuntu-netbook metapackages)

The easier solution is to just live install gwenview 4.3.4 until digikam is repackaged for 4.4, either way i don't think he was complaining just raising the issue so that it could be addressed and I'm not saying the packaging situation is a terrible thing just giving him a workaround for the time being.

re Skripka: I'm just trying to help clean up the misinformation he insist on spreading, I don't really care if he reads it as long people having the issue do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nixternal View Post
    If you are getting crashes that bring up a crash dialog, some trace information might be a little helpful. I just tried out Amarok on Karmic with KDE SC 4.4 Beta 1, and didn't get it to crash. I was expecting it to though

As for Chromium crashing, as it seems over 19 hours ago, yesterday's chromium build was hosed for everyone, not just us running KDE Also Chromium is not Qt based at all, it is 100% GTK.

I was expecting there to be a lot more breakage considering we are dealing with the first beta release, but I was surprised. Only goofy things I had, like 2 bars on the bottom. So if a notice popped up, it popped up side-by-side as there were 2 system trays.

I will subscribe to this thread so I can keep an eye on it. Kubuntu developers need to not forget this wonderful resource is here. Thanks everyone!

How do I help?

/izo\
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on: Intel Pentium D 3GHz, 2Gb RAM, ATi X1950 PCI-E.
    See my website

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast