Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: linux kernel 2.6.32 update ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

linux kernel 2.6.32 update ?

How long does it usually take to for Ubuntu to incorporate the next released kernel. I am hoping that kernel 2.6.32 will fix my resume woes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: linux kernel 2.6.32 update ?

Usually the next released kernel is incorporated into the next coinciding release of Ubuntu, in this case Lucid Lynx... it is not usual that the current version of Ubuntu gets upgraded to a new kernel. Patch to the existing kernel are applied though.
    Never upgrade your working system to the newest release without thorough testing on the actual hardware you will be running it on.
    Never perform a system update in a live session
    Installed Ubuntu Touch 1.0 on my Nexus 7. And loving it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well I just got the update to 2.6.31-16 now I've seen -14,-15 and now -16 with no help to the ati drivers that I believe is causing the blank screen on resume for many people. For me this is not enough to regress to 9.04 but, it is a glaring issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I guess unless someone backports the relevant code to the 2.6.31 kernel you'll either
    1. have to patiently wait till april 2010 and not use suspend / hibernate in the meantime...
    2. Hunt around for a ppa with the 2.6.32 kernel or
    3. compile the 2.6.32 kernel yourself.

I'd go with option number 1 though...
    Never upgrade your working system to the newest release without thorough testing on the actual hardware you will be running it on.
    Never perform a system update in a live session
    Installed Ubuntu Touch 1.0 on my Nexus 7. And loving it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i have installed the 2.6.32 kernel from the PPA ....it is simple to do and is working fine for me. here is the link:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

you will need 3 packages from the kernel version that you choose (the final 2.6.32 kernel has the release date of 03-Dec-2009)....download:

1)linux-headers-2.6.32-020632_2.6.32-020632_all.deb
    2)linux-headers-2.6.32-020632-generic_2.6.32-020632**either i386 or amd64**.deb ...depending on which architecture you are using
    3)linux-image-2.6.32-020632-generic_2.6.32-020632**either i386 or amd64**.deb ...depending on which architecture you are using

they are .deb files so you should be able to just double-click on them to install.

**IMPORTANT: be sure to install them in the same order that i put them in above!!

hope that helps.
    MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5, CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi
    MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB,
    VIDEO CARD: ASUS GTX480
    SSDs: Samsung 840 series 250Gb, Kingston HyperX 3K 120Gb, PNY XLR 120Gb

Beans

I have installed the kernel from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/, but it does not boot, I have just a black screen and nothing afterwards. BTW, tried to compile it myself with the same result. I wonder what may cause it. I used to compile the kernel before and it worked fine.
    ASUS K53S UbuntuGnome 17.04 64-bit
    Two Dell laptops with 16.04

Beans

I have 855gm hardware too, and it broke with 2.6.32. There is something wrong with kernel mode setting and ACPI.

If you use the 2.6.32 kernel with acpi=off boot parameters then my laptop's display doesn't go black during KMS initialization.

Unfortunately without ACPI I don't have any power management.

I've gone back to 2.6.31 myself until this bug is fixed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hechacker1 View Post
    I have 855gm hardware too, and it broke with 2.6.32. There is something wrong with kernel mode setting and ACPI.

If you use the 2.6.32 kernel with acpi=off boot parameters then my laptop's display doesn't go black during KMS initialization.

Unfortunately without ACPI I don't have any power management.

I've gone back to 2.6.31 myself until this bug is fixed.
    I have put "nomodeset" parameter and was able to boot without any problem. The kernel did not though fix my problem with rt2500 driver
    ASUS K53S UbuntuGnome 17.04 64-bit
    Two Dell laptops with 16.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    I have put "nomodeset" parameter and was able to boot without any problem. The kernel did not though fix my problem with rt2500 driver
    Could you please but that in newbie terms?
    I have no idea what that means. ""nomodeset" parameter"
    Do you have to edit a particular file?
    I got the Kernel to update and was very excited as my sound problem had been resolved.
    But on the Second reboot it would no longer start just a black screen.
    Thankfully after a couple failed boots it came up with the options to boot into my older Kernel and then I was able to uninstall the new kernel via the Synaptic Package manager.

Beans

Never mind "nomodeset" parameter"
    I figured that out however it still does not boot a second time with the new kernel.
    I get this error
    Target filesystem doesn't have /sbb/init
    No init found. Try passing init=bootarg.

Does any one know what this means and why my machine won't boot with the new kernel?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast