Thread: laptop boots to GRUB and won't reboot to ububntu

Beans

Post laptop boots to GRUB and won't reboot to ububntu

Hello there

I'm new to ubuntu, and it seems that I have done something wrong.

I installed ubuntu Karmic Koala on my laptop (Dell studio) with wubi.exe, about a week ago.

Everything was going great until I closed the lid of the laptop, and then when I opened it back it rebooted and gave me a black screen with GRUB (BASH-like command line or something of this sort). I could not make ubuntu to boot.

I searched the internet for quite a long time and I did find some solutions in forums, but none of which worked.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by Yohai; December 4th, 2009 at 02:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: laptop boots to GRUB and won't reboot to ububntu

Wit wubi you mean that you installed it inside windows? just like a programm? Or did you install it to a additional partition fully?! as dual boot sys?..

If you didn't do anything special till now just login windows go ubuntu directory uninstall and install ubuntu again.. if you already used it for quiet longer time.. and already got got serious datas on it it would be pretty bad.. anyhow did you update GRUB? cause when you installed it into windows you shouldn't update grub then.. cause as soon as you update grub it gets ****** up no idea why but it is so.. so if you did that just reinstall ubuntu and this time do not update grub ;P

.. so ehm yah.. ?
    American Made Music To Strip By

Beans

Thanks,

I installed it inside windows, not on a partition.

I can uninstall and then re-install, but that's a bit crappy. And even if I do that, how am I sure that this will not happen again. Isn't Ubuntu supposed to be the most stable OS in the universe?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

1. Ubuntu has nothing to do with "Grub" *laughs* 2nd you didn't answer my question if you updated grub if yes then next time don't do it! atleast if you install it inside windows.. i also dont know if it works when you install it fully on the HD .. like i did.. but i do not update it either im scared and why should i update it? works fine so far

Beans

yeah, I'm a newbie....

I did not explicitly update GRUB, but I did run the update manager (in ubuntu) and clicked "update all" or something of that sort.

Is there no way of reinstalling ubuntu without losing all the applications that I've installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Not really I don't know any way.. But never ever update "grub" in the next weeks/months while u installed ubuntu with wubi inside windows.. >.< that makes kinda much people angry and anoys newcommers i can't understand why that doesn't get fixed T.T ..

But i can't see any way how to backup your apps.. (next time when you run update manager click on grub so that it doens't update >.<