Thread: Karmic: Nvidia and dual monitors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Karmic: Nvidia and dual monitors

I've been having a really rough time getting my second monitor to work. In 9.04, I just plugged it in and it allowed me to use it as a second monitor (i.e. my whole desktop was contained on my laptop, and the second monitor was there to drag things to). Now, the nvidia tool only allows twinview and separate x screen. Twinview stretches my desktop across both monitors. Is there a way to set up my second monitor as a second space for dragging and dropping windows?

Thanks,

-Justin

Beans

Re: Karmic: Nvidia and dual monitors

What options did you have in 9.04? Separate X screen?

Beans

I have all 3 options (drivers version 195.22) available: TwinView, Separate X screen and disabled.

What hardware and driver version do you have? (lspci)

Was there another option in 9.04 beside these?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had the same options in 9.04, but TwinView made the second monitor more like a second workspace if I remember correctly. I have a Dell Vostro 1400. The second monitor is an LG HDTV. My Nvidia driver is 173.14.20. Maybe that's the problem? My graphics card is an 8400 GeForceM. Thanks for your help!

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Just reboot and the stretch will go away.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well, there are only the two options, either twinview or xscreens (has been that way since I started with Feisty). there also used to be xinerama, but it has been obsoleted by xrandr and twinview (and it was a finicky beast at that).

seperate xscreens works well, as long as you do not need to drag application windows from screen to screen. if you do, then Twinview is the way to go, but the configuration may not like being switched from single to dual head on the fly. never tried it.

also, i don't know about the 'M' line, but I've had some bad luck with Geforce 83/8400 cards before. bad tv overscan (or underscan to be more precise), and a lack of driver features.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks guys.

I ended up finding instructions on updating my nvidia proprietary driver from the terminal, and then twinview worked as it used to on 9.04.