Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Grub "no module name found" after reboot

Beans

Wink Re: Grub "no module name found" after reboot

I guess before you restarted, you were using windows. If so, most likely, some program(s) in windows modified the mbr (master boot record).

In this case, you can fix the problem using a Ubuntu installation CD without reformatting the whole hard drive. When computer is starting up, choose to reboot from CD. ~ 15 minutes later, there will be a screen asking whether you want to try out Ubuntu or install Ubuntu. Select try out Ubuntu. Go to the terminal to fix the problem following this guide:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows
    Last edited by cloudsea; August 23rd, 2010 at 09:58 PM.

Beans

Re: Grub "no module name found" after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by johnrobert View Post
    I logged into Windows and removed both pieces of software for "Dell DataSafe" and that has fixed the problem.
    It works! Tanks guy!!!

Beans

Deleting Dell datasafe worked for me.
    Is this problem because of the fact that dell datasafe handles the "recovery" partition, which also happens to be marked boot?

Previous comment mentioned this: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/WindowsErasesGrub
    which appears to be a different but strikingly similar problem, did any1 get that solution to work?

Beans

I have an ASUS G50V and this is extremely annoying. I get the "no module name found" error and there is no way I can enter the bios. My bios is set to boot from hd first and does not even check to see if there is a disc in the drive to boot from. The only thing I can think of is physically resetting the bios. What a pain, I'll not be using ubuntu again.

Beans

I'll stay with virtual box till a permanent fix comes through for this.

Beans

@wtflinux, why are u unable to enter ur bios?

Beans

Hi there, I've been lurking on this forum for the last couple of days and have found it very useful in resolving my Ubuntu/Windows 7 problem - thanks to everyone who has contributed! As such, I thought I'd post to share my experiences in case they come in useful for anyone else (however, please bear in mind that I am very new to Linux and hence you should take the below with a large pinch of salt, before you start to duplicate my actions!) I also have a related question about the MBR - please see the end of this post.

Details of my system and the problem

• System: new Dell 1749 laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed.
    • Procedure being carried out: installation of Ubuntu on the same hard drive to create a dual-boot system.
    • Problem: following Ubuntu installation and subsequent use of Windows 7, GRUB2 (the Linux bootloader) failed to start when the computer was rebooted, giving the "no module name found" error message as discussed on this forum. This prevented me from starting either operating system.

How I fixed it
    I initially tried to reinstall GRUB2 using the instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows However, due to my lack of experience with Linux I found this quite tricky. As such, I eventually gave up and went for the brute force approach of reinstalling Ubuntu from the live CD (I didn't lose any data through doing this, as I had booted into Windows straight after the original Ubuntu installation and hence GRUB2 was broken immediately, before I'd used Ubuntu for more than about 30 seconds!)

The reinstallation of Ubuntu allowed me to recover GRUB2 functionality. I was thus able to boot up Windows 7 and uninstall the Dell DataSafe programs (I'd already used the local program to create the Dell restore DVDs for Windows 7, so I figured I wasn't losing too much by deleting it). This session in Windows 7 obviously caused GRUB2 to fail once again when I rebooted, so I reinstalled Ubuntu once more in order to recover GRUB2. This solved the problem - I now have a fully functional GRUB2 that doesn't get killed by using Windows 7!

Related question
    If I have any further problems with GRUB2, I'd like to find a quick and easy way to restore it (reinstalling Ubuntu is clearly not a sustainable option!) The methods outlined in the link above will presumably work if I've become more comfortable with Linux commands. However, I wonder if there is an easier (albeit potentially more risky) way to fix the problem.

My understanding is that GRUB2 fails in the above scenario because another program (Dell DataSafe, for example) writes to the MBR (Master Boot Record - the code that sits at the start of the computer's hard drive and tells it what to do when the system starts up) and hence overwrites the code for the first stage (stage1) of GRUB2. In contrast, I assume the code for the second stage (stage2) of GRUB2 remains intact in the /boot partition elsewhere on the hard drive. If this is correct, then presumably all that needs to be done to regain GRUB2 functionality is to restore the stage1 code to the MBR (as opposed to reinstalling the whole of GRUB2).

Thus, my question is as follows: if I create a backup of the first 446 bytes of the MBR, can I simply use this to restore GRUB2 should another Windows 7 program decide to tamper with the MBR? The following site contains a detailed explanation of how the MBR is backed up and restored: http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p13.html#mbr_dd I'd be really interested to hear from any experienced Linux users as to whether they'd recommend this approach, or whether they'd steer well clear. As far as I can see, the main con may be that it is easier to really mess up your system by getting the 'dd' command wrong, whereas reinstalling the whole of GRUB2 (stage1 and stage2) using the 'grub-install' command may be a more foolproof option. One pro, however, might be that any GRUB2 customisation (splash image, font changes, etc.) saved in the /boot partition (stage2) would be retained, rather than overwritten.

Any thoughts on the above would be most appreciated. I'd like to reiterate that I'm very new to Linux, so please wait until a more knowledgeable user replies with their guidance before you make use of this idea! Thanks.
    Last edited by HighburyTiger; September 5th, 2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Addition of small amount of extra text and formatting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cloudsea View Post
    I guess before you restarted, you were using windows. If so, most likely, some program(s) in windows modified the mbr (master boot record).

In this case, you can fix the problem using a Ubuntu installation CD without reformatting the whole hard drive. When computer is starting up, choose to reboot from CD. ~ 15 minutes later, there will be a screen asking whether you want to try out Ubuntu or install Ubuntu. Select try out Ubuntu. Go to the terminal to fix the problem following this guide:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows

Thanks for the link...nice and simple fix

Beans

Hello, I've an Alienware Mx15 and my problem is

no module name found
    Aborted. Press any key to exit.
    Intel(R) Boot Agent GE v1.3.35
    Copyright (C) 1997-2009, Intel Corporation.

PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F : Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
    Operating System not found

My solution was: "Install Burg, it is a small aplication wich change boot"

Beans

ive got a sim prob but im getting grub loading. error: no such partition. grub rescue> ive tried to use my win7 recovery disk but i get the same msg when it reboots. recovery is only finding the windows partition but cant reboot. how do i get rid of the grub loader and ubuntu partition? ubuntu crashed after getting a virus and i cant get into windows either. all i got from klam was it was a worm right before it crashed. everything was crashing for a few days before it totally went.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast