Thread: Question about using USB Piano with Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question about using USB Piano with Ubuntu

Hey all,

After recently getting my Ubuntu 9.10 OS up and running properly(thanks to the kind help of folk here) I have been look to start recording my music again.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if any usb piano will work with Ubuntu or will i need a specific model, like my Ubuntu webcam? I am about to buy a USB Mic and Piano and thought i would ask before i spent my money.

Many thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Question about using USB Piano with Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by civillianslave View Post
    Hey all,

After recently getting my Ubuntu 9.10 OS up and running properly(thanks to the kind help of folk here) I have been look to start recording my music again.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if any usb piano will work with Ubuntu or will i need a specific model, like my Ubuntu webcam? I am about to buy a USB Mic and Piano and thought i would ask before i spent my money.

Many thanks
    I haven't used a USB piano before.I guess it would need a specific driver.Absolutely the manufacturer of the piano will provide you a driver for Windows but seldom for Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Question about using USB Piano with Ubuntu

so thats a no go on the USB piano then? what about USB microphones?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

In my experience, USB stuff nearly always works. The problem is most probably going to be that the piano will come with some sort of music composing/playing application -- and THAT won't run in Linux.

So, even if you get the OS to see the device, you won't be able to use the SW that comes with it.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Do you mean a USB MIDI keyboard controller, or a digital piano with a USB MIDI output?

Have a look at the Rosegarden site. If you mean a dumb keyboard, then this page:

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/tutor...chapter-2.html

2.1.2.2.1 USB Keyboards

Evolution manufactures several models that are known to conform to the standard USB MIDI specification, which are therefore compatible with Linux. Chris Cannam, one of the core Rosegarden developers, uses an Evolution-2 keyboard, and reports that it works using the snd-usb-audio module, which should probably be loaded automatically by hotplug. He imagines that most other manufacturers' wares are similar.

2.1.2.2.2 USB MIDI Interfaces

The Edriol UM-2 and mAudio MidiSport 2x2 are known to work under Linux. I have no experience with such things myself, I'm afraid, so I can only provide second-hand information.
    Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas, a contributing Rosegarden developer, reports that getting the Edriol UM-2 working is as simple as plugging in the USB cable and loading the snd-usb-audio module, which should probably be loaded automatically by hotplug.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.