Thread: How to create custom fortune files?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How to create custom fortune files?

Hello,

I saw a very cute litte application called "Wanda the Fish", which is a GUI verision of command line program "fortune". Now, I would like to create my own fortune cookies, which can be found in /usr/share/games/fortunes, but found that together with the text file containing the text, theres a binary .dat file.
    My question is: how do I create these .dat files in order to make my custom made fortunes? Searched the web but could only find manuals to fortune itself (which I've already read, hope I didn't miss something) or some pre-made files.
    Thanks for any help!
    PGP public key: 0xB39B0BA9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

fortunes

The package fortunes is the one with the data. Try grabbing the source package and poking around in that.

Here is a somewhat old document that tells how to work with src packages:
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap...ndling.en.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to create custom fortune files?

OK, thank you very much for your help and time, but the solution was (as usual) to read the manual once again, this time more carefully. As I couldn't google a howto, I hereby create one.

HOWTO: create custom fortune cookies files
    1. Open your favourite editor and add the strings that you want to be shown when running "fortune" in terminal. BE SURE to add a single line with a letter % in it, between every string.
    2. Save this file to whatever file name you want; this guide uses "yourlist" as example.
    3. When done adding strings, run the command "strfile -c % yourlist yourlist.dat". This will create a .dat file for your cookie file, which contains a header structure and a table of file offsets for each group of lines. This allows random access of the strings.
    4. Run "fortune yourlist" to eat the fruit of your work. That's it!
    5. If you want this cookie file to appear as any other of the standard fortune cookies (when simply running "fortune"), just add your string file and .dat file into "/usr/share/games/fortunes/".
    6. Oh, and one more thing: if you want to change anything in "yourfile", you will need to repeat this HOWTO again for it to work.

Good luck!
    PGP public key: 0xB39B0BA9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just wanted to say "Thanks" publicly for this. I'd been searching for a while myself for exactly this reason - though I've been piping the output through cowsay instead.
    I inject people with radioactive stuff for a living. But only to serve the forces of good.
    webpage | blog

Beans

Thank you, qrwe! That's very helpful. I created my own custom fortunes in no time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu