Thread: 3G/4G on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

3G/4G on Ubuntu

I am attempting to get the attention of Sprint and Clear (Sprint owns 51% of Clear www.clear.com ) to make sure their 3G/4G USB devices work out of the box with Linux. I was at Best Buy today speaking with the rep from Clear and I am supposed to get a phone call from someone at their corporate HQ regarding the support.

Sprint/Clear 4G offers "unlimited" monthly bandwidth (some kind of usage guidelines will apply) with speeds of around 6 Mbits download bursting to 10 Mbits and upload of 1 Mbit.

I would like to request that some other Linux users here in the USA participate in a concerted effort to contact Clear and request Linux support.Contact Us

CLEAR Customer Care (http://www.clear.com/support/contact)

Contact us by chat, by phone, at one of our stores or by mail.
    Phone

Call us at 888.888.3113 between
    9am and 10pm 7 days a week.
    By Mail

5220 Industrial Blvd,
    Milton, FL 32583-8717

The rep at Clear stated that they originally did not support the Mac OS and when requested to do so, they were able to crank something out in 4 days. If that is "truly" the case, then it should be easy enough to do something for Linux.

Getting things done is as much a matter of "marketing" the message - and that is my request. That we go to their web site and email/call Clear and "MARKET" Ubuntu. Let's get on their radar screen.

If I were calling, I would be very "matter-of-fact" about the desire for Linux support, "politely" get to the point, thank the person taking your call for their time and get off the phone (or make a brief email) since marketing folk are often ADD with short attention spans.

Thanks in advance to anyone who chooses to participate in this. I will follow up via phone with the supportive sales rep I spoke with from Clear and make sure I update the forum on my results.

Businesses only invest money into resources if there is a perceived market demand. "Your mission, should you accept it...", is to create that perceived demand.

Regards,

Rocky

P.S. Clear wants to sell units - especially in today's economic environment. I would think that they don't want to miss out on making a dollar.

Remember, Dell's "Idea Storm" got Ubuntu on their mini, laptop and desktop.
    Last edited by rhardie; December 5th, 2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Afterthought

Beans
    Distro

Re: 3G/4G on Ubuntu

Contacted Canonical two days ago and requested they communicate with Clear on Linux support as Clear is the leader in our area for providing 3G/4G mobile broad band services.

No major results except the standard, "We'll pass this on to the appropriate department" but at least I did make the request.

If there are any U.S. based evangelists out there who would not mind contacting Canonical via email on this, that would be a help.

The general idea is to focus a lot of attention on just one area of interest at a time vs a 'shot gun' approach to several diverse companies.

As an aside, I do sales and marketing in a non-tech industry and 'market focus' is a key concept. This is market focus in reverse. It's still selling as I have to 'sell' Clear on the idea that "we" Linux users are out here and there is 'selling' Canonical on the idea that Clear is worth talking to.

I figure that if Clear would hear from Linux users AND someone like Canonical (i.e. a similar message from two groups or entities), then they would hear the message with a bit more impact.

If this works, then I would want to find another hardware/services vendor and repeat the process. (Like the shampoo instructions on the bottle: Wash, rinse and repeat)

I DO appreciate any assistance anyone would care to contribute some creative energy on this...if nothing else, just to see if we can have an effect.

Like they say, "If you don't ask, you don't get...and not asking is the same as a 'NO' answer." (We knew that when we were little kids, right?)

Constructive comments are welcome...the operant word is 'constructive'.

Thanks
    Last edited by rhardie; December 3rd, 2009 at 03:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: 3G/4G on Ubuntu

Just ran across this interesting bit of information:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/7636

Linux: Free Linux Driver Development
    Submitted by Jeremy
    on January 30, 2007 - 1:14am

* driver
    * free
    * Greg KH
    * Linux
    * Linux Driver Project
    * NDA
    * Linux news

"The Linux kernel community is offering all companies free Linux driver development," Greg Kroah-Hartman posted in an open offer on the lkml, for all types of devices "from USB toys to PCI video devices to high-speed networking cards." He explains, "all that is needed is some kind of specification that describes how your device works, or the email address of an engineer that is willing to answer questions every once in a while. A few sample devices might be good to have so that debugging doesn't have to be done by email, but if necessary, that can be done." He added, "if your company is worried about NDA issues surrounding your device's specifications, we have arranged a program with OSDL/TLF's Tech Board to provide the legal framework where a company can interact with a member of the kernel community in order to properly assure that all needed NDA requirements are fulfilled." Greg suggests that companies participating can allow their developers to focus on drivers for other operating systems, "and you can add 'supported on Linux' to your product's marketing material." He further explains:

"You will receive a complete and working Linux driver that is added to the main Linux kernel source tree. The driver will be written by some of the members of the Linux kernel developer community (over 1500 strong and growing). This driver will then be automatically included in all Linux distributions, including the 'enterprise ones. It will be automatically kept up to date and working through all Linux kernel API changes. This driver will work with all of the different CPU types supported by Linux (for the CPUs that support the bus types that your device works on), the largest number of CPU types supported by any operating system ever before in the history of computing."