Thread: Display Going Blank With Vertical Lines

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Display Going Blank With Vertical Lines

I installed Ubuntu Studio 9.10 a while back and I'm having a problem with the display. I'll start up and everything is fine for a while then I'll go to launch an application or take some other such action and suddenly the screen goes blank with a bunch of vertical lines like so...

I've tried restarting the xserver with 'crtl-alt-backspace' (I enabled that key combination after first having this problem) and it doesn't seem to help. The only thing that brings my display back to normal is rebooting. I've tried other distributions of Linux like Fedora with similar results. Only on Fedora the screen goes blank with mostly white vertical lines instead of mostly black as pictured above.

My monitor is a Gateway FPD1976W 19" Widescreen LCD Flat Panel and my computer has a S3 Graphics Unichrome Pro integrated graphics card that's part of the VIA K8M800 chipset found on my dumpy old eMachine.

Any ideas what's causing this? I've googled it a number of times and searched this forum to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry Re: Display Going Blank With Vertical Lines

Nothing, eh? Oh well, nevermind. I'll just stick with Windows. Ubuntu is cool but I want to be able to focus on things other than how to get my display to work.