Page 57 of 99 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu cannot compete with OS X or Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: OS X or Windows 7 cannot compete with Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ViperChief View Post
    You gotta read what I wrote and what I was replying to. He said it was in the default install. Arch gives you a base system (the GUI isn't even installed) then you can decide what to install.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    It does, but it's not in the default install. That's what Viperchief was saying.
    Oops, Forgot my sarcasm markers.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu cannot compete with OS X or Windows 7

In Linux, this is called convenience. In Windows and OS X, this would be referred to as bloat.

Probably why I like Arch and Slackware more.
    I find it intriguing when folks ( not referring to you ) refer to Windows and OSX as Bloat ware then recommend a Linux Distro . I look at a Ubuntu Disc or Suse Disc or Mandriva Disc and there is multiple Office Suites ,Browsers, editors etc etc etc .
    Kinda ironic really.

Playing devils advocate
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

To be honest, I don't like the word "bloat" at all. I find in most cases, what it really means is:
    a) I'm obsessed with my ram usage, and I can't stand to find out I'm using > 100 MB ram
    or b) I don't like it.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    To be honest, I don't like the word "bloat" at all. I find in most cases, what it really means is:
    a) I'm obsessed with my ram usage, and I can't stand to find out I'm using > 100 MB ram
    or b) I don't like it.
    I guess that means all OS's are bloated.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I find it intriguing when folks ( not referring to you ) refer to Windows and OSX as Bloat ware then recommend a Linux Distro . I look at a Ubuntu Disc or Suse Disc or Mandriva Disc and there is multiple Office Suites ,Browsers, editors etc etc etc .
    Kinda ironic really.

Playing devils advocate

Personally, I think Windows is bloated (I can't say for OS X...never used it). I still have no idea why Windows 7 takes up 7GB (though that name suddenly makes sense) of hard drive space.

But, just like the OEM install on my HP, I always have to spend time uninstalling all the crap that installs on Ubuntu whenever I install that. SuSE at least gives you a little customization but, to the best of my recollection, Ubuntu doesn't give that to you. Either way, with the big ones Ubuntu, SuSE and Fedora, I always spend time uninstalling crap.

Speaking of which, if preinstalling apps is a bad thing (vis a vis Windows), then what's with all the Ubuntu spinoffs installing everything under the sun? Maybe Ubuntu can start installing just Ubuntu....it would save me time whenever I install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I could care less whether it can compete. I hold to no ego trip that I am using something different than the "norm". I have converted my wife and a few others to Ubuntu and they like it and use it for about the same percentage of their needs as I do. In this house we have Windows, Ubuntu and a Mac. To each their own.

Ubuntu works just fine for me in 90% of what I use a computer for. The other 10%? I still have XP and it does fine where there is no good app or ability to run an app in Ubuntu. Wine has made it possible to run some programs and that is just fine.

I use what works for me and do not care about all the hype pro or con, whether for Windows or Ubuntu/open source.

That about equals to my 2 cents worth on the matter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Maybe Linux simply isn't for everyone. Being like Windows or mac Os X might certainly take Linux away from its original purpose, Being Open. OS X is Unix wish is similar to Linux but its rapped so tight that most users would be hard pressed to find the command line or even know what it is for.

Linux is different, If this piece of hardware doesn't work or if that graphics card wont allow dual or triple monitor support or if that web cam wont work or that cell phone wont connect who should we blame? Ubuntu or the hardware manufactures who wont make their drivers open.

It takes a while for things to be ported over because developers have to either create something from starch or develop some type of work around thats sometimes buggy at best.

My blackberry wont connect to my computer for updates through the internet. Should i blame Ubuntu for should i blame RIM for not creating desktop software for linux.

And remember there is no profit motive. 90% of the world uses windows, Ati creates a new graphics card and wants at the very least 90% of the world to use it, what should it do? Of course create a driver that is support on that platform. Its all about profits and reaching the most end users. It has nothing to do with the quality of Ubuntu.

So to be fair when i first started with Linux i was frustrated much of the time. If it wasnt my sound it was my graphics card and if it wasn't that it was some other component. But support has improved over the years. I remember when if you had an Ati graphics card people would just tell you good luck.
    I reinforce the frail with lyrics that's real - Nas

Beans

Personally, I think Windows is bloated (I can't say for OS X...never used it). I still have no idea why Windows 7 takes up 7GB (though that name suddenly makes sense) of hard drive space.

But, just like the OEM install on my HP, I always have to spend time uninstalling all the crap that installs on Ubuntu whenever I install that. SuSE at least gives you a little customization but, to the best of my recollection, Ubuntu doesn't give that to you. Either way, with the big ones Ubuntu, SuSE and Fedora, I always spend time uninstalling crap.

Speaking of which, if preinstalling apps is a bad thing (vis a vis Windows), then what's with all the Ubuntu spinoffs installing everything under the sun? Maybe Ubuntu can start installing just Ubuntu....it would save me time whenever I install.
    People demand this , want that,ask for this feature and that feature. When MS, Apple , Ubuntu , Suse or what ever give it to them they then cry bloatware bloatware . But please give me this give me that . Oh and I don't want to pay for it.

Oh my god
    I just ranted.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

But, IMO, all of that baggage is what makes Ubuntu so good. For amateurs like me it makes installiation easier. The only things I throw away upon install are Evolution and Empathy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    People demand this , want that,ask for this feature and that feature. When MS, Apple , Ubuntu , Suse or what ever give it to them they then cry bloatware bloatware . But please give me this give me that . Oh and I don't want to pay for it.

Oh my god
    I just ranted.
    Yeah, people tend to see the features they want as necessary, and the features they don't want as bloatware.

To me, though, bloat means an unreasonable amount of resources dedicated to a feature that could be implemented with far fewer resources. Regardless of whether the feature is specifically desired. I also tend to use it to refer to stuff that's preinstalled on an off-the-shelf PC in the hopes of selling you more stuff, aka crapware.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Page 57 of 99 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast