Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Karmic randomly logs out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Karmic randomly logs out

Just happened again. No other apps running at the time. I am starting to suspect the mouse as it happens when I am moving the mouse around quickly.

Beans

these log-outs are happening to me when I'm doing nothing more than trawling through this forum trying to find a solution. Very frustrating.

Beans

These are happening to me as well. I'm using an eeepc901 with Intel 945GME and it was fine until a few days ago.

I'd already activated the xorg-edgers launchpad so I was getting newer drivers, but a few days ago an update came out and the random crashing started. I used the ppa-purge app to remove the xorg-edgers packages and revert to the normal karmic packages, but the random X crashes still happen.

the xorg log contains the following:

Code:
    Backtrace:
    0: /usr/bin/X(xorg_backtrace+0x3b) [0x8133dbb]
    1: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x55) [0x80c1395]
    2: [0x3bc400]
    3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//intel_drv.so [0xbb8574]
    4: /usr/bin/X [0x8181800]
    5: /usr/bin/X(ProcPutImage+0x159) [0x808a4c9]
    6: /usr/bin/X(Dispatch+0x35f) [0x808d1af]
    7: /usr/bin/X(main+0x395) [0x8072515]
    8: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe6) [0x3d3b56]
    9: /usr/bin/X [0x80719c1]
    Saw signal 7.  Server aborting.
    (II) Asus EeePC extra buttons: Close
    (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
    (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Close
    (II) Sleep Button: Close
    (II) Power Button: Close
    (II) Video Bus: Close
    (II) Power Button: Close
    (II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Close
    (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
    (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
     ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
    The crashes have all happened when using firefox and opening a new page.

Could this be a problem in the non-driver part of X given that it's happening on different graphics hardware ?

Beans

I've restored my system from a backup I made before enabling the xorg-edgers ppa. I've run the system update and X hasn't crashed all day.

I think somehow adding the xorg-edgers repository messed something up, and this wasn't fixed by running ppa-purge xorg-edgers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Same issue here. I don't play games though. Firefox, Thunderbird, Filezilla, gedit... 64bit ubuntu. Thanks for any tips.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It has happened to me. It was most upsetting as I had rewritten an e-mail already for the second time after Opera had crashed and it was a long one. I thought that the chances of another crash slim. Then this problem happened. Now I'm writing my e-mail on gedit and saving it every sentence. This is ridiculous. All I need now is a hard drive failure to top it off.

I have never used Aisle-riot Solitaire. I do have an Intel G965 Express chipset (DG965OT). A couple things that I have done to the system is to delete my kernel.log and message.log files as they had exploded to over 4GB total (including their .1 backups). That seemed to start after I had removed two old kernel updates through Synaptic.

I really hope Lucid 10.04 will be a good one. So far I've had the worst of compatibilities ever since 8.04. If it wasn't crashing, it was the display or USB transfers. I'd don't want to go back to 7.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

This is happening to me too, whenever an internet browser (chrome for linux or firefox) is open. It started this morning.

This is a fresh install of Karmic on an Acer Travelmate 2480 with all the default drivers etc - I have changed nothing but the desktop (installed cairo-dock, set up an embedded terminal and enabled some effects in compiz). However, it only started doing this this morning. It has worked perfectly for two weeks.

It's pretty frustrating - has anyone found a sure way to solve this yet?

Some of the bugs that have been referred to mention AisleRiot and other games, but I have not been running them.

I ran this, and it seems to have helped a little. It resets compiz to its default settings.

Code:
    sudo rm -rf ~/.config/compiz
    By "helped a little" I mean that it is doing it less often, but it is still doing it.

It also appears to be linked to Flash, so I just tried to install Flashblock for Firefox. And then it did it again.
    Last edited by salambander; December 25th, 2009 at 04:58 AM.

Beans

There are several already-reported Launchpad bugs that could be linked to this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...me/+bug/486593 -- Random X Crashes

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...80/+bug/457977 -- gdm random crashes

Beans

I'm getting exactly the same issue. For some reason (almost always when I'm typing an email in Gmail over Firefox) Ubuntu simply crashes and the screen immediately goes back to the Login page.

Beans

Same here with kubuntu karmic (xorg-edgers and 2.6.32). It happens when I switch to the virtual desktop where I have Kvirc:

Mar 16 10:05:58 pau kdm[1010]: X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
    Mar 16 10:05:58 pau console-kit-daemon[1057]: GLib-GObject-WARNING: instance with invalid (NULL) class pointer
    Mar 16 10:05:58 pau console-kit-daemon[1057]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_signal_emit_valist: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
    Mar 16 10:05:58 pau console-kit-daemon[1057]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
    Mar 16 10:05:58 pau acpid: client connected from 2632[0:0]
    Mar 16 10:06:00 pau kdm_greet[2648]: Cannot load /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/faces/.default.face: Nessun file o directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast