Thread: start gnome-terminal maximized

Beans

start gnome-terminal maximized

i would like gnome-terminal to be maximized when i start it. any way to do that? trying google i couldn't find anything.

just to be clear:
    NOT fullscreen NOT almost maximized NOT using compiz
    As you can see from my history, i was once an enthusiastic ubuntu user. I would hereby like to assert that i no longer recommend using ubuntu to anyone. I recommend using one of the many distributions that do not include ad-/spyware by default.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: start gnome-terminal maximized

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas1
    i would like gnome-terminal to be maximized when i start it. any way to do that? trying google i couldn't find anything.
    Wow, that is perplexing, when I googled it I got lots of hits, including some from the Ubuntu forum. I would expect that you would find some if you used the search function of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas1
    just to be clear:
    NOT fullscreen NOT almost maximized NOT using compiz
    You can specify whatever geometry you want for the terminal if you start it with the "--geometry=" option.

It doesn't occur to me what you would want with a terminal covering all your screen space if you have a fairly modern monitor, and there's no reason I need to know, but you could do it if you choose to.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QLee View Post
    Wow, that is perplexing, when I googled it I got lots of hits, including some from the Ubuntu forum. I would expect that you would find some if you used the search function of the forum.
    yes, i got lots if hits, mainly people asking the same question, and the only solution i found is what you too suggested:

Quote Originally Posted by QLee View Post
    You can specify whatever geometry you want for the terminal if you start it with the "--geometry=" option.

It doesn't occur to me what you would want with a terminal covering all your screen space if you have a fairly modern monitor, and there's no reason I need to know, but you could do it if you choose to.
    that's what i meant by "almost maximized", the --geometry option only allows for numbers specifying the size of an unmaximized window, not the same, as can be seen in the screenshot:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As you can see from my history, i was once an enthusiastic ubuntu user. I would hereby like to assert that i no longer recommend using ubuntu to anyone. I recommend using one of the many distributions that do not include ad-/spyware by default.

Beans
    Hidden!

community/Devilspie

Install it:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install devilspie
    Create a rule for gnome-terminal:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/.devilspie
    gedit ~/.devilspie/gnome-terminal.ds
    Code:
    (if (is (application_name) "Terminal")
      (begin
        (maximize)
      )
    )
    Go to gnome-terminal -> Edit -> Profile Preferences -> Title and Command tab and set the Title to Terminal and When terminal commands set their own titles to Prepend initial title.

Press Alt+F2 and run:
    Code:
    devilspie
    Go to System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications and add devilspie to the startup apps.