Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fedora Core 5 test3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Fedora Core 5 test3

Just been released. I have to try it. You can see the release statement at distrowatch. I will keep you posted. Can't try it until tomorrow night though.
    Registered Linux user #386230 - Get Counted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Fedora Core 5 test3

FC4 was a very nice looking distro. Except yum was horrible.

I got like 5KBps, compared to ubuntu's 300KBps =D

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I had my dad on fedora core 4 at first worked great for him... just didnt like the 4 disc download.
    Do or do not there is no try - Yoda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Jedeye
    I had my dad on fedora core 4 at first worked great for him... just didnt like the 4 disc download.
    You can install on 2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

lol... I d/l first find out I waste bandwidth later
    Do or do not there is no try - Yoda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I am downloading now. No single CD install here. I am downloading the full 2.99 GB DVD. I am quite sure that this is not necessary. There is a single CD install that you can use that gets the rest from the net as it installs. But I look at it as pay me now or pay me later. Might as well pay now. I am using Alltel DSL ultra if you are curious.

I tried to use the BitTorrent mehtod first. They ask you to go that way if you can. It sucked for me though. I use Azureus and my download speeds were all over the map. From 20 KB/s all the way to 107 KB/s that I saw. The speed tended to hang mostly at the lower end though. I would guess that the average was less that 40.

So I went over to the Mirror List and tried 4 or 5 beforfe I found one that worked. Once I got it going though, the speed was much better and much more stable. Ranging from about 80 KB/s to 120 KB/s. I would guess the average to be over 100.

One strange thing here. I am doing the download in windows and the dialog box is not reporting correctly. The progress bar showed done from the start and the percentage complete is being reported as a negative number. Not a big deal, but seems strange.

Anyway, that is about it for now. I will update more later. If you want to call this round one, I would say Ubuntu wins. I like the single CD install much better than this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I started out on linux with Redhat 9. Along the way I ended up installing FC2 and FC3 and even FC4 (for like a day). I finally got fed up with Redhat/Fedora...it was like they weren't fixing things at all. The same stuff that didn't work in FC2 didn't work in FC4 either. If I remember correctly, I had to end up recompiling my kernel with some kind of kernel-stacks option turned off just so I could install the latest Nvidia drivers! Anyway, I'm not trying to knock the Fedora project too much. I suppose I did learn a lot about linux by having to do things "the hard way" (e.g. compiling mplayer with all the codecs enabled, recompiling my kernel, installing the Nvidia drivers, etc).

With that said, whenever I get free enough free time I'll probably still end up installing FC5 final just to test it out

-teet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I tried FC4, still very blurr with linux, I don't know how to do updates and look for programs.

Unlike ubuntu, there are many auto scripts to install stuff which I think is very good for newbies like me.
    Visit my hamsters lover site
    http://www.sghamsters.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well this test has taken a serious down turn.

I can't get the dvd to install.

I finally found a good mirror and got the download. This mirror held at 158 - 160 KB/s for the entire download.

So I go to install and I am immediately encouraged. The installer looks better. It had obviously recieved some serious attention. Beyond that, my alps touchpad is detected and functions. That did not happen in FC4.

I also like Fedora's media check. This is a nice function that Fedora has always had.

So I format and start the install. Everything is going fine. Then my computer just shuts off. Completely powers down. I think my computer must have come unplugged (I am using a Toshiba laptop), but it did not. I have power.

So I shurg, say "huh", and try again. This time the install DVD asks me if I want to upgrade the installation it just did. I say no. Reformat and start over. Choose only the default packages this time. Does the same thing.

So I am done for tonight. I posted a question about this in their forum. I will see what I find out.

I will say though, this is just a test release. This is NOT the final release of FC5.

At this point I am not sure how many more updates there will be here...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

ok...I finally got Fedora installed. You can follow the link in my previous post to their forum to see that my problem was heat.

Once I got fedora installed, it looked very nice. A couple problems though. Fedora 5 still does not recognize my monitor. I have to configure it manually. Fedora does not detect my Atheros wireless card either. I have to go fine the madwife driver, which is not even their base or extras repos.

So this experiment is over. The main reason I left Fedora for Ubuntu is hardware detection. Ubuntu detects everything.

Maybe I will try again when the final release comes out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast