Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Install Mprime?

Beans

How Do I Install Mprime?

hi everyone..

i am trying to install mprime which is the linux version of the prime95 stress test, and i have no idea how...

i just completed my first successful installation of ubuntu and i need to run this test overnight..

i don't know anything about linux other than the installation, and although i downloaded the free pdf for the pocket guide, i need to set this up in the next half hour and i can't read that fast...lol..

any ideas??

thanks..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: How Do I Install Mprime?

Hmm, looks complicated. Do you actually need this particular app, or will any stress tester do?

Beans

anything that will stress out the processor and possibly the memory would be great....

thanks...

Beans
    Distro

BOINC/Seti@home? It's in the repos, and you'd be doing something useful at the same time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You could also run, for example, Gaussian elimination in linpack in some infinite loops http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LINPACK . But BOINC attached to some project must be the easiest way as everything's in the repos.

Beans

thanks for the quick replies....

i downloaded the boinc program from berkely, but how do i get it to run??

thanks...

Beans
    Distro

I am currently running Prime95 on a new set-up and installation is not required. Simply download the tarball from http://mersenneforum.org/gimps/mprime259.tar.gz

Extract the contents to a folder of your choice or create one specifically for Prime95. Navigate to this folder and open a terminal and execute this command "./mprime".
    It should ask you a few questions as to how to torture test your computer and away you go.

Beans

wow, that was super easy...

thanks..

mprime is running nicely now...

what is the linux version of a batch file?

Beans
    Distro

Now that is a loaded question. Linux scripts or executable text files are a basic function of linux and this is how most of what I do on my computer functions. Learn your basic terminal commands and then read about #!/bin/bash scripting and the world of Linux will open up to you. If you look at the screenshot I provided you can see a broken script on the lower panel. It's the little red X on the lower right hand. Recently updated my Firefox browser and for some reason it broke my desktop script Icon. I will simply open the script with gedit and correct the icon change.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by He's Dead Jim View Post
    i downloaded the boinc program from berkely, but how do i get it to run??
    You cooould do it that way, but it's always better to get your software from the repos. Go to System > Admin > Synaptic and browse in wonder at the tens of thousands of packages available for immediate installation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast