Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: does linux have an impact on your social life?

Beans

Cool does linux have an impact on your social life?

well because ever since i started using linux a lot of my friends dont talk to me because i cant play cod4 online with them on pc. and some of the online ones said im a ""trator"" just because i dont use windows.
    its also weird because my friends from school use msn and my msn isnt as good as theres and so sending pics and stuff is slow and i cant draw in msn. but i dont care about that stuff anyway and think there just being dumb about it........ but i have thout about putting on windows just because they complain about it so much. so what about you?

NoaHall is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: does linux have an impact on your social life?

No. My friends acknowledge that GNU/Linux is faster than Windows, but do not use it, because they fear I will hack them. Obviously, because I just sit around wanting to hack people all day long. It's not like I've got things to do or anything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

My friends are jealous of me being able to use linux, but it hasn't affected my social life.

If your friends base your friendship on using windows and playing cod4 then they're a poor example of a friend.
    Ubuntu user #20092 || I can't sing.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by koleoptero View Post
    If your friends base your friendship on using windows and playing cod4 then they're a poor example of a friend.
    +1

Make some new friends based on some other affinity like music or a place you like to go. Not a game.

Beans

Linux seems to have the ability to kill my social circles! I was round a group of friends at the pub a few nights ago and I said something Linux or KDE related I can't remember what it was (it was actually across the table to another friend of mine who also loves Ubuntu) and man the table went DEAD! So I made a point of never mentioning it again! xD
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by koleoptero View Post
    My friends are jealous of me being able to use linux, but it hasn't affected my social life.

+1

friends should be your friends, no matter what... even more software...

Concerning my social life... it's never been so good, so it doesn't matter. I'm just "the geek" in my friend's group

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have miss a couple of beers because I rather do an upgrade, but nothing too serious.
    Esos son mis 2 centavos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

some of my friends get interested in the ubuntu, and two of them who installed it at their home computers/laptops now consider it the coolest os in the world
    otherwise I like the idea of humanity as my desktop, as it is imho intrinsically more social than the corporate appearance of windows and ego/emo type mac posture
    ...when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks back at you

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hoppipolla View Post
    Linux seems to have the ability to kill my social circles! I was round a group of friends at the pub a few nights ago and I said something Linux or KDE related I can't remember what it was (it was actually across the table to another friend of mine who also loves Ubuntu) and man the table went DEAD! So I made a point of never mentioning it again! xD
    delete.

sorry, misunderstood you. english is not my first language.

Beans

Forgive me if im wrong, but you sound like someone fairly young, and in school.

Teenagers seem to have a syndrome where anything thats "different" from the norm, status quo, etc. is to be laughed at and made fun of. they may laugh at you using linux, because its soo different and "weird" and don't understand why anyone would want to use it.

And yes, not playing the same games, or using the same software, is a stupid thing to lose friends over. Maybe they really aren't friends.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast