Thread: fan control (NOT upgrade/install related!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

fan control (NOT upgrade/install related!)

i need a way to control my fan speed in 9.10. i havent ever done it before, because when running prime i only hit 60C. my processor (E4300), is safe up to 74C (i dont want to push it that far...) right now, i have gotten it to 65C, and my fan still stays on low. i dont want it to get any hotter than that.

now, i want to do the pin mod found here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/228129-28-e4300

i know that my processor will run warmer, and that i know i will need to up my fan speed. just throttling will work for me. i might make a script later on to automatically up my fan to medium speed. for now, i just want to try throttling and make sure it works before i do the pin mod.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: fan control (NOT upgrade/install related!)

Just let your BIOS control the fan speed, or tell it not to control the fan speed at all (which will run it at 100%). If you want to push the CPU harder, you should DEFINITELY invest in a third-party CPU cooler. Look at Noctua's range of CPU coolers, they have good performance and are very quiet. (I have one in my system and I leave it running at 100% fan speed, it's still almost silent).
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; November 25th, 2009 at 05:22 AM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

i need to control my fan speed within ubuntu. i have no option in my bios to control fan speed. (stupid dells) i think tat my cooling that i ave on it now should be fine for only taking it to 2.4ghz...

for the FSB chip, it run hot at 200mhz. so i replaced the thermal compound and stuck a fan on it. so, my FSB should be fine. my mobo supports 1066mhz FSB, but i dont get how it could without a fan. i could have burned myself on the heatsink.

Beans
    Distro

bump...

Beans
    Distro

i know people have done it, but i dont know how... can someone explain how to do this?

Beans
    Distro

since i havent dusted off my computer since i got it (about a year ago), i thought i would open it up and dust off the cpu heatsink. well, i opened up my case, took off the shroud that funnels air to the cpu, and the heatsink came off with it! so, i was forced to replace the paste on it with my radioshack paste that i thought wasn't good enough for this computer. well, now it has the new paste and runs about the same temps. so i must have done it right.

now it lost some dust and gained new thermal paste. and it runs at exactly the same temps.

(this is kind of an excuse for a bump...)

still, does anyone know of a way to control my fan speed? i dont even really know if it is considered a case fan or a cpu fan because it is mounted on the case, but cools the cpu. its the only fan in my case.(besideds my PSU fan)

Beans
    Distro

ok, dont help me. *runs to away to his corner*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I will notify you, good sir, that posting twice in one hour doesn't help you. Not EVERYONE here knows how to fix your problem(s), and thus you must WAIT until someone comes along to post a response. Remember: It's the Thanksgiving Holiday (in the US), so some people might not be around who would be able to help you.

Beans
    Distro

ok, ill stop... srry