Thread: Can't write to external hard drive? please help

Beans

Question Can't write to external hard drive? please help

So I have an external hard drive (500gb WD passport) I use to move stuff between my computers (2 running windows, 1 ubuntu laptop) and since I hooked it up to ubuntu to listen to music I can't write anything to it, on neither ubuntu or windows. I believe it has something to do with ubuntu's security permissions. I need it to be able to read and write under both ubuntu and windows and go back and forth.
    any help is appreciated
    thanks in advance
    jonny

Beans

Re: Can't write to external hard drive? please help

i need help with this also
    i have a my passport 320gb

Beans

By default, an external usb disk is going to be available in /media and will only allow root to write to it. The quick way to allow access is to create a subdirectory and then give yourself ownership of the directory and you should be good to go.

So, I have an external drive I use for backups at /media/ext1tb. The ownership is root:root and permissions are rwxr-xr-x or 755. So, as my normal user, I can read, but not write. I then created a subdirectory called backup and gave myself ownership.
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/ext1tb/backup
    sudo chown username:groupname /media/ext1tb/backup
    At this time, I'm not aware of how to change the ownership rules to allow me to own the actual device, but this should get you going.

Beans

Wink Re: Can't write to external hard drive? please help

1 - Go to Terminal, copy & paste this command: gksudo nautilus that will open Terminal as root

2 - Navigate to your folder/file/drive, Right Click, select the Permissions tab

3 - Change the Owner drop-down menu to your name, then change Folder Access to Create & Delete Files, then File Access to Read & Write, then Group to your name, Folder Access to Create & Delete Files, File Access to Read & Write then click Apply Permissions To Enclosed Files.

You will now have full access to your folder/file/drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by scouser73 View Post
    1 - Go to Terminal, copy & paste this command: gksudo nautilus that will open Terminal as root

2 - Navigate to your folder/file/drive, Right Click, select the Permissions tab

3 - Change the Owner drop-down menu to your name, then change Folder Access to Create & Delete Files, then File Access to Read & Write, then Group to your name, Folder Access to Create & Delete Files, File Access to Read & Write then click Apply Permissions To Enclosed Files.

You will now have full access to your folder/file/drive.
    This wont work. NTFS drives don't understand Linux permissions, the entire drive is granted the permissions you specifiy either in fstab or with the mount command.
    Cheesemill