Thread: Linux friendly digital cameras

Beans

Linux friendly digital cameras

I've had experiences with cameras before where it seemed like you had to go through the proprietary software that came with the camera to get your pictures. Granted, I was less experienced with cameras then.

Basically what I'm looking for is a high quality camera (i'd like to get into photography seriously) that would just let me plug it in, open up the folder and cut the pictures to my computer, without having to go through any proprietary software to do so. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Linux friendly digital cameras

Quote Originally Posted by ucal View Post
    I've had experiences with cameras before where it seemed like you had to go through the proprietary software that came with the camera to get your pictures. Granted, I was less experienced with cameras then.

Basically what I'm looking for is a high quality camera (i'd like to get into photography seriously) that would just let me plug it in, open up the folder and cut the pictures to my computer, without having to go through any proprietary software to do so. Any ideas?
    I'm no camera expert but every camera I've had all I had to do was plug it into the computer and the memory card opened up on the screen, or even better (to get better file transfer rates) is take the memory card out of the camera and plug it into a memory card reader on your computer. Basically saying it would be very hard for you to find a camera that requires special software to get the pictures out of it/out of the memory card. But good luck with the photography, I'm looking into getting a class for it in my highschool.
    MB: MSI 890GXM-G65 - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, Quad Core @ 3.4GHz - RAM: A-DATA 2GiB DDR3 1600 RAM, x2 = 4GiB @ 1333MHz - GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+, 512MiB GDDR3 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 500GiB @ 7200RPMs - 2 in RAID0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My Nikon D40 works just fine, I can either plug the camera in to the computer using the USB cable or remove the SD card from the camera and pop it in my card reader.....either way works fine.
    eVGA X58 Classified E759, i7 920, G.Skill Perfect Storm DDR3 2000 3X2gb, 2X eVGA GTX260 SSC SLI, Lian-LI PC75B, Corsair TX850W, 2X WD Black 640gb Raid0 Win7, Seagate 320gb Linux Mint 9, LG GH22LS30 DVDRW

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyMrK View Post
    I'm no camera expert but every camera I've had all I had to do was plug it into the computer and the memory card opened up on the screen, or even better (to get better file transfer rates) is take the memory card out of the camera and plug it into a memory card reader on your computer. Basically saying it would be very hard for you to find a camera that requires special software to get the pictures out of it/out of the memory card. But good luck with the photography, I'm looking into getting a class for it in my highschool.
    We had two years of the class in my high school. We only got to use digital every once in a while. Most of the time we focused on black and white film, which is really fun to work with. I need a digital camera for now though, because it offers much more flexibility without having to buy a scanner (negative or print).

So any good digital SLRs you would recommend? Sadly, they'd have to be on the very very cheap side. So I think I might have to get a high quality non slr camera instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've had a Sony Cybershot and a Canon Powershot non-SLR digital cameras and both have worked natively with Ubuntu. I'd recommend either one.

Both have your typical auto settings - which are nice for quick point and click type stuff. But they also let you set the F-stop, Aperture, and ISO speeds. They shoot up to 10 megapix, so resolution and clarity should not be too much of a concern - unless you're going to blow the pictures up to poster size or larger.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've had a Sony Cybershot and a Canon Powershot non-SLR digital cameras and both have worked natively with Ubuntu. I'd recommend either one.

Both have your typical auto settings - which are nice for quick point and click type stuff. But they also let you set the F-stop, Aperture, and ISO speeds. They shoot up to 10 megapix, so resolution and clarity should not be too much of a concern - unless you're going to blow the pictures up to poster size or larger.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

We had two years of the class in my high school. We only got to use digital every once in a while. Most of the time we focused on black and white film, which is really fun to work with. I need a digital camera for now though, because it offers much more flexibility without having to buy a scanner (negative or print).

So any good digital SLRs you would recommend? Sadly, they'd have to be on the very very cheap side. So I think I might have to get a high quality non slr camera instead.
    I had to look up SLR just to know what it is, so I'm of no help to you there. Lol. My digital camera broke when it was accidentally plugged into the wrong charger and shorted it out, the only cameras I have now are my phone and one I found at a yard sale for $2 that looked cool, Canon Canonet G-III QL17, but is useless to me till I understand all the adjustments on the lens.
    MB: MSI 890GXM-G65 - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, Quad Core @ 3.4GHz - RAM: A-DATA 2GiB DDR3 1600 RAM, x2 = 4GiB @ 1333MHz - GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+, 512MiB GDDR3 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 500GiB @ 7200RPMs - 2 in RAID0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

1. I'm a wedding photographer, and I do it all with Ubuntu.

2. VERY few digital cameras will be anything less than fully compatible with Linux. Frankly, I don't know of any off the top of my head.

3. If you want to get into SLR photography, you need to pick a camera system (Nikon/Canon/Pentax/etc) before you do anything else. From there, you will need to do some very careful and critical comparing between the different models. The D40 that was already recommended is a great toy camera for people who want an SLR, but don't "really" want an SLR. At a minimum, you need something in the D80/D90 range to get started seriously. Anything below that, and there are too many serious and important tools that you cannot use. (Don't take this one too seriously though. You can always upgrade, and you should read #5 for the other side of the coin)

4. Virtually any camera, even the high end of professional cameras, will take jpeg images that will work with any system made since around 1990, so there's no worry there. However, when/if you do get serious, you're going to start shooting in raw. There are some really great FOSS programs out there for dealing with most raw files, but they are not good for doing serious volume or professional quality work. Right now, the only fully linux compatible app that I can recommend is called Bibble. There is a "lite" version and a "pro" version. You really only need BibblePro if you are doing real, honest to goodness professional work, particularly photojournalism or selling stock photos. Of course, bibble is not free, but it is worth every penny, and there is a free trial.

Also of note, bibble is currently selling version 4, but Bibble 5 is in the final stages of it's release candidate and should hit the market soon. Maybe before the end of the year. Bibble 5 will probably bring a healthy price increase, but also a host of features that will completely elliminate the need for programs like photoshop. (at least as far as photographers are concerned. Graphic artists will still need photoshop or the GIMP)

5. All that being said, the camera itself is the least important part of the whole system. #1 is the brain behind the camera (you), #2 is the glass on the front of the camera, #3 is your lighting gear. The camera is the least important. Learn how to do it right, use good glass, get good lighting equipment and learn to use it the RIGHT way, and you can take great photographs with almost any camera.
    My blog about getting your life in gear: Growing Up After 30.

My Photography: Stephen Michael Photography.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Oh, I forget...

BibbleLite and BibblePro are at http://www.bibblelabs.com
    My blog about getting your life in gear: Growing Up After 30.

My Photography: Stephen Michael Photography.

Beans
    Hidden!

SONY Minolta Alpha 900 works quite well here, even with huge 25MP RAW images, download is no issue.