Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Customize oversize ubuntu-9.10-desktop-powerpc.iso (Karmic Koala) for 700 MB CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

HOWTO Customize oversize ubuntu-9.10-desktop-powerpc.iso (Karmic Koala) for 700 MB CD

To install Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) is advisable to use ubuntu-9.10-alternate-powerpc.iso to download here

To install it booting from the LiveCD you need to burn it to a DVD, because the size of the iso-image is bigger than 700MB CD. If a CD-ROM does not support burning or reading from DVD, you can follow this thread to force iso-image to fit in a 700MB CD in MacOSX (but it should also possible in Linux using wodim with the option -overburn)

Here I describe a way to reduce the iso-image's size, just removing data (Kernel and Intrd) that are not needed for my architecture. When you mount the iso-image, you will notice that they are stored in /casper/powerpc (powerpc32) respectively in /casper/powerpc64.

Try it at your own risk!

Download ubuntu-9.10-desktop-powerpc.iso to the directory ~/Downloads (or wherever you prefer)
    Code:
    $ cd Downloads
    $ wget http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/9.10/release/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-powerpc.iso
    Checksum the downloaded iso-image
    Code:
    $ md5sum ubuntu-9.10-desktop-powerpc.iso
    fa2c5eb18dfb2e82fffa661fac75a240

Download hfs.map to ~/Downloads. We'll need it to create a bootable powerpc iso-image
    Code:
    $ wget http://people.ubuntu.com/~cjwatson/hfs.map
    Mount the iso image
    Code:
    $ sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 ubuntu-9.10-desktop-powerpc.iso /mnt
    Exit Downloads
    Code:
    $ cd ~
    Create a directory ~/custom-ubuntu (or whatever) where to copy ALL the content of the mounted CD
    Code:
    $ cp -ra  /mnt custom-ubuntu
    For PowerPC 32-Bit Users (G3 and G4)
    Code:
    $ sudo rm custom-ubuntu/casper/powerpc64/initrd
    $ sudo rm custom-ubuntu/casper/powerpc64/vmlinux
    For PowerPC 64-Bit Users (G5)
    Code:
    $ sudo rm custom-ubuntu/casper/powerpc/initrd
    $ sudo rm custom-ubuntu/casper/powerpc/vmlinux
    Generate an hybrid bootable iso-fs with genisoimage
    Code:
    $ genisoimage -hfs -part -map /home/~/Downloads/hfs.map -no-desktop -hfs-volid "Ubuntu 9.10" -hfs-bless /home/~/custom-ubuntu/install -pad -l -r -J -v -V "Ubuntu 9.10" -o custom-ubuntu-9.10-desktop-powerpc.iso /home/~/custom-ubuntu
    (Do not forget to change '~' to your user name)

You should get in your /home/~ directory a new .iso image called 'custom-ubuntu-9.10-desktop-powerpc.iso' SMALLER than 700 MB. My image for ppc64 is 692 MB.

Burn the generated .iso image with your preferred application or with wodim
    Code:
    $ sudo wodim -sao custom-ubuntu-9.10-desktop-powerpc.iso
    Unmount the downloaded .iso image
    Code:
    $ sudo umount /mnt

Reboot to check if it works as expected. As always, be patient when you boot a LiveCD, it can take longer than expected. At the yaboot prompt, hit TAB to see all possible options. Of course only those for your architecture are available. Choose live-nosplash-powerpc or live-nosplash-powerpc64 to see what happens when booting.
    Please, don't forget that you can use the custom CD ONLY on the appropriate architecture (either ppc32 or ppc64).
    Last edited by tiresia; December 26th, 2009 at 03:52 PM.
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO Customize oversize ubuntu-9.10-desktop-powerpc.iso (Karmic Koala) for 700 M

Thanks for the tutorial. It was easy to follow. All went well until I tried to use the new CD to boot the PowerBook. I can get into the Mac's boot menu, but it doesn't present this CD as an option for booting, as it does with the PPC alternate install CD I've got. After 15 minutes or so, the CD still doesn't appear in the boot menu, so I'm stuck. Tried burning it twice on two different burners & OSes.

Beans
    Distro

Re: HOWTO Customize oversize ubuntu-9.10-desktop-powerpc.iso (Karmic Koala) for 700 M

How did you burn it?
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans
    Distro

With Disk Utility on a Mac, and with Brasero on a Xubuntu system using a USB CD burner.

Meanwhile, I did finally get a direct download of 9.04 PPC to complete, so at least that will start to boot the PowerBook in question.

Beans
    Distro

I guess you know that you should burn the iso image, not just the files.
    Anyway checking if you can boot 9.04 is a good idea to understand if the problem has to do with the custom cd or with the burning process

Beans
    Distro

I did burn the iso image, not the files.

The 9.04 image worked once I burned it.

Thank you again for your suggestions. I'm not sure why the iso I created didn't want to boot, but I did get where I needed to go in the end.

Beans

Thanks for the HOWTO. I followed your guide on reducing the size of the ISO. It worked okay for me, now booting Ubuntu on my trusty Powerbook.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ritalin153 View Post
    Thanks for the HOWTO. I followed your guide on reducing the size of the ISO. It worked okay for me, now booting Ubuntu on my trusty Powerbook.
    Glad to hear it! Let me please know if you had any trouble during installing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For those wondering how to do this in Ubuntu, with this or any other .iso a bit over 700Mb, open it with K3b, and it will automatically burn it using wodim. If you haven't already got K3b, install it, and then right-click the .iso, choose to add a new app to the list of choices, pick K3b from the list supplied, and away you go.
    Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

=D> First Stop for Ubuntu Newbies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unhappy Re: HOWTO Customize oversize ubuntu-9.10-desktop-powerpc.iso (Karmic Koala) for 700 M

Hi.
    Unfortunately after doing everything in HOWTO .iso is not bootable

Tried twice.

Maybe for Natty this guide is not working.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast