Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get rid of middle-click paste (Without disabling or remapping the middle btn)

Beans

Question How to get rid of middle-click paste (Without disabling or remapping the middle btn)

Hey,

I have been annoyed by this behaviour more than one time and have tried finding a solution more than once as well, but I always just find the classical : "Just edit your xorg.conf and re-map the middle mouse button to something else, like button #494 which is never used" but I like the middle button, it's very useful to me... However, I don't enjoy it when it pastes random quips of text into the code I am browsing (my mouse has a sensible middle button, so just scrolling the wheel is enough to activate it sometimes)

Does anyone here have a solution, or has the Ubuntu team implemented a way to disable this since the last time I checked ?

thanks a lot,
    JC

Beans

Re: How to get rid of middle-click paste (Without disabling or remapping the middle b

That's probably the single most annoying thing about ubuntu for me right now...

Do you guys know where does this middle-button paste behaviour come from ? Is it X or Gnome ?

It wouldn't annoy me this bad if I didn't paste random snippets of text 'every' time I scroll up-down a document/terminal (you can imagine the terminal is much worse).

thanks in advance,
    JC

Beans

Re: How to get rid of middle-click paste (Without disabling or remapping the middle b

Has anyone got any news on this topic ? I would be glad to get rid of that annoying behavior

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It wouldn't annoy me this bad if I didn't paste random snippets of text 'every' time I scroll up-down a document/terminal
    Why do you need to press the wheel so hard to scroll ?

I don't recall ever randomly pasting anything with several different
    Linux / Ubuntu releases
    Multi Boot Ubuntu 10.04 64bit, ******* 7 & XP SP3 on
    Intel E5200 Dual Core 2.5Ghz| 4 Gb DDR2 Ram

10.04 UNR on eeePC 1000HA
    Linux is NOT Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I also would like to know how to disable this feature. I like to use middle-click as a transmit key in voice chat programs, and when I'm coding it's really annoying to either have to lose the focus to transmit, or undo the changes because it pasted some code at a random location.

No matter what kind of mouse we're using or what we're doing with it, we'd just like to know how to disable the feature that copies text on selection and pastes it on middle-click.

Thank you,
    -= TehWan =-

Edit: I believe this would be the selection buffer, from X. Sadly, not a lot of information can be found on how to disable. People seem proud of having this Linux-only feature.
    Edit2: Apparently, Klipper on KDE allows you to disable the selection buffer. Unless this is only the selection buffer of Klipper and not of X.
    Last edited by TehWan; April 1st, 2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Found some results after a search on the net.

Beans

It sounds like the problem lies with your mouse, sorry but it does not make much sense to reprogram software to take care of issues with worn out hardware. The simplest solution is to buy a new mouse whose middle click mechanism hasn't gone to ***. That, or alternatively when you highlight something (such as when you want to copy it to the clipboard) immediately un-highlight it by clicking somewhere on the same window. The middle-click clipboard is different that the traditional ctrl+c clipboard, so if you clear the highlighted text, the middle-click clipboard also gets cleared and won't paste anything if you middle click.

I have to ask, does this mouse you got also have a ball in it? If so, then please definitely buy a new optical mouse (~$20).

Also another idea: decaf.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I also would like to disable the copy-paste feature of the middle click. I use a thinkpad, so the middle mouse button emulates a scroll wheel (hold middle click and push the pointer), and I often get text pasted when I don't want it to, but since I'm scrolling, I don't see it until later. Very annoying.

Here's an idea i haven't tried: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...45&postcount=8, though he doesn't say exactly what those changes do.

Another idea: http://jaredrobinson.com/blog/howto-...aste-in-linux/. I haven't tried that either, I'm just googling for it.

----> This thread looks promising: http://jaredrobinson.com/blog/howto-...aste-in-linux/. It appears to disable paste on middle click, but lets left+right paste.

Here's my current xorg.conf

Code:
    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
    # in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
    # here are ignored.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

# The following lines were added for the stylus.

Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier    "Default Layout"
      Screen        "Default Screen"
    # commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
    #  InputDevice   "stylus"  "SendCoreEvents"
    #  InputDevice   "eraser"  "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
    #  Driver        "wacom"
    #  Identifier    "stylus"
    #  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom" # USB ONLY?
    ##  Option        "Device"        "/dev/ttyS0"      # SERIAL ONLY
    #  Option        "Type"          "stylus"
    #  Option        "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"           # Tablet PC ONLY
    #  Option        "USB"           "on"               # USB ONLY don't need?
    #EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
    #  Driver        "wacom"
    #  Identifier    "eraser"
    #  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom" # USB ONLY?
    ##  Option        "Device"        "/dev/ttyS0"      # SERIAL ONLY
    #  Option        "Type"          "eraser"
    #  Option        "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"           # Tablet PC ONLY
    #  Option        "USB"           "on"               # USB ONLY don't need?
    #EndSection

# The preceding lines were added for the stylus.
    There's nothing there about the mouse, so I'm not sure what needs to be added besides

Code:
    Option	 "ZAxisMapping"	"4 5"
    Option	 "ButtonMapping" "1 1 3 4 5"
    Last edited by SnickerSnack; April 3rd, 2010 at 04:09 AM.
    xubuntu 64-bit 11.10: AMD Phenom II x4 970 @3.5GHz, GSkill 8GB 1333MHz CAS7, Gigabyte HD Radeon 6850 OC 1GB GDDR5 256-bit, Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, Seasonic 620W Bronze, CoolerMaster HAF 912, Samsung 23" LED LCD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

To answer the question you asked instead of simply ignore it and say your nuts. (Which isn't to say I think your not. Since I love this feature)

Go Here

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input

Scroll down to the instructions supplied for your version of Ubuntu for disabling the middle mouse button paste.

Sadly it does seem some remapping is required

Enjoy

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Brandel Valico View Post
    To answer the question you asked instead of simply ignore it and say your nuts. (Which isn't to say I think your not. Since I love this feature)

Go Here

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input

Scroll down to the instructions supplied for your version of Ubuntu for disabling the middle mouse button paste.

Sadly it does seem some remapping is required

Enjoy
    That works pretty well. Paste is disabled and scrolling still works, simple fix too. However, I'd really prefer to keep the left+right=paste feature. That would require more though, probably. It might be possible using the set-button-map tool, but I'll have to test things out to see.

Partly for my own reference, I'm listing the track-point mouse mapping for a x61 tablet:

$ xinput get-button-map "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint"
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Which are 1=left 2=middle 3=right 4=middle-up 5=middle-down 6=middle-left 7=middle-right.

What I need is this: middle button does not paste, but left+right does. The middle button scrolling must still work, though.
    Last edited by SnickerSnack; April 3rd, 2010 at 04:34 AM.
    xubuntu 64-bit 11.10: AMD Phenom II x4 970 @3.5GHz, GSkill 8GB 1333MHz CAS7, Gigabyte HD Radeon 6850 OC 1GB GDDR5 256-bit, Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, Seasonic 620W Bronze, CoolerMaster HAF 912, Samsung 23" LED LCD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Been looking into it some more and this link may help

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...an8/gpm.8.html

I believe you could start the system up so that highlight copy is disabled. Which would prevent the paste feature from doing anything as the clipboard would be empty

GPM -A[Limit]

I believe is the area to look into.

You may be able to make a start-up command.

Actually it looks like there is an edit line for /etc/profile

I'm not sure but this seems to be the line. Info is in the same area I suggested you look at in the link provided

`case $( /usr/bin/tty ) in
    /dev/tty[0-9]*) /usr/bin/disable-paste ;;
    esac'
    To disable the paste
    Last edited by Brandel Valico; April 3rd, 2010 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Info about the profile

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast