Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block

Quote Originally Posted by meierfra. View Post
    The problem is caused by a bug in Grub2 and can be fixed fairly easily

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...lems:Wubi_9.10

Do you mean to install this BEFORE the problem occurs - cause I just tried it after the problem has hit me and that doesn't work at all.

Only thing that works is using the boot menu entry with an older kernel. (2.14 in my case)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Do you mean to install this BEFORE the problem occurs - cause I just tried it after the problem has hit me and that doesn't work at all.
    If it does not work, it means that your problem has a different cause.

Try reinstalling the kernel:

Code:
    ver=2.6.31-19
    sudo apt-get purge linux-{headers,image}-$ver-generic linux-headers-$ver
    sudo apt-get install linux-{headers,image}-$ver-generic linux-headers-$ver
    But use the version number for the kernel you are have problems with.

If this did not help, I suggest to start a new thread on the subject.
    In the new thread, describe exactly what happens during boot-up.

Beans
    Distro

If it does not work, it means that your problem has a different cause.

Try reinstalling the kernel:

Code:
    ver=2.6.31-19
    sudo apt-get purge linux-{headers,image}-$ver-generic linux-headers-$ver
    sudo apt-get install linux-{headers,image}-$ver-generic linux-headers-$ver
    But use the version number for the kernel you are have problems with.

If this did not help, I suggest to start a new thread on the subject.
    In the new thread, describe exactly what happens during boot-up.
    Thanks for the tip, but meanwhile I already installed a backup of my Ubuntu from yesterday. So I'm fine ATM and will switch to a genuine installation soon.

Beans
    Distro

Correction I'm not fine anymore... I installed the software I wanted (5 hours) - had to go to Windows - returned: Grub prompt!!!!

After I installed backup earlier I replaced the wubildr with the recommended. If it changed something that obviously made it worse not better.

All tips in threads here to rescue the system failed. Of course I could use my backup from yesterday, but then I have to install everything again and probably tomorrow all the work is trashed again.

In 15 years Windows it failed twice to boot, but was easy to rescue. In 5 days Ubuntu all is trashed for the 3rd time! I need a computer to work with it - not for toying around with a suicidal system all the time.

I'm short before returning to Windows. Does anyone know for sure if this BS also happens with 9.04 ? Does 9.04 support the Samsung NC10 3G modem, too?

I like to work with it, but I can not spend half of my time installing and looking for emergency rescue to be able to boot it again.
    Last edited by mipesom; February 20th, 2010 at 04:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro

If it changed something that obviously made it worse not better.
    I never have seen a case where the new wubildr caused a problem. Maybe already your backup is corrupted in some way.

I need a computer to work with it - not for toying around with a suicidal system all the time.
    Wubi is meant for trying out Ubuntu. Since Wubi is just a file on your Windows partition it can easily get corrupted. If you want a stable operating system, you need to do a regular Ubuntu install.

Does anyone know for sure if this BS also happens with 9.04 ?
    Wubi 9.10 has more problems than Wubi 9.04. But since I have no idea what is causing your current problem, I cannot guaranty Wubi 9.04 will work better for you. If you decide to reinstall, I strongly recommend a regular install instead of Wubi.

Does support 9.04 the Samsung NC10 3G modem,
    No idea.

If you want to try to rescue your current Wubi install, boot from your Ubuntu LiveCD and follow these instructions to run the boot info script and post the RESULT.txt

Beans
    Distro

I can't boot from CD - the Samsung NC10 is a netbook. Will buy an USB stick (always used my 8GB Multimedia player as a stick, but the netbook does not boot from it) and make a regular install. Thanks for taking the time, I'm just quite frustrated ATM.

Beans
    Distro

Will buy an USB stick ...and make a regular install
    Great. Make sure to plan ahead. For example, if you have Vista/Window 7 you should use the Windows disk management to resize the Windows partition.

Good luck with your fresh install and sorry for all the problems you had with Wubi.

Beans
    Distro

I did this 2 days ago already. Wubi had it's own partition (30GB) And I have another 30GB free. And thanks, hope that will work better.
    Last edited by mipesom; February 20th, 2010 at 10:13 AM.

Beans

The problem is caused by a bug in Grub2 and can be fixed fairly easily

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...lems:Wubi_9.10
    Thanks meierfra,

This fixed my problem with the following error:
    unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)

replacing the c:\wubildr allowed my Ubuntu 9.10 to boot normal

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by obroyz View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm absolutely new to Linux, leave aside Ubuntu. Having installed Ubuntu Karmic Koala just a few days ago, using Wubi, I have been extremely impressed with this O/S.

Getting to the point, I ran into this problem yesterday and I really couldn't understand a word everyone was saying about fixing this issue. My kernel had been updated to 2.6.31-15 and last morning, my machine wouldn't boot.

I noticed that I was able to boot into 2.6.31-14, so I worked on it for a while, trying to find a 'simple' solution before I went on learning all the technical stuff.

Anyhow, the fix:

1) Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager
    2) Put in a search for linux-image
    3) Locate the package "linux-image-2.6.31-x-generic"
    4) Select the check-box next to this package and choose "Mark for Reinstallation"
    5) Apply this changes
    6) Reboot your machine

(For me) problem solved.

I hope it works for all of you as well.

Thanks,

J.
    Thanks J.! This works for me too!! I just did an update with include updating linux-image.

Notice what number appears on your selection in GRUB during the boot. For example, Ubuntu linux image 2.6.31-20 generic. You just do what J. said with replaced value on red value i marked above.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast