View Poll Results: Do you use an Anti virus program?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

13 19.70%
  • No.

19 28.79%
  • Only on Windows.

43 65.15%
  • Only on Linux.

1 1.52%
  • Only on Macintosh.

1 1.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you use an Anti Virus programs?

Beans
    Hidden!

Why do you use an Anti Virus programs?

I've been using Windows for a long time now. I used to have all sorts of Anti Virus/Maleware/Spyware programs installed. It used to slow down my computer to the point it took 15 minutes to fully boot up and become usable. Even with all of this, I still got infections, but this was because I was doing foolish activities, like downloading things from an untrustworthy source.

Now I'm more experienced and know way around. I have no matter Anti Virus installed and my computer runs 10x faster. I do not download things from an untrustworthy source anymore, and I Google the application I'm about to install, to make sure it's safe.

For a year now I've been doing this, and I have no viruses.

So my question is, why do you use an Anti Virus? Are you paranoid? Don't know your way around yet? Just extra "security"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Why do you use an Anti Virus programs?

No antivirus for me. I'm like you, I just practice safe browsing habits while in Windows.
    Yesterday it worked.
    Today it is not working.
    Windows is like that.

Beans

How does safe browsing keep you from getting a drive by exploit from a legitimate site where an ad was hijacked?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    How does safe browsing keep you from getting a drive by exploit from a legitimate site where an ad was hijacked?
    When ever that happens to me, I just exit my web browser immediately. Duh. lol...

Beans

I don't believe in antivirus. It can't stop you from getting a virus it can only tell you when you already have one. Since virues are meant to be disruptive I think I would know if I had one
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    Ad-Block Plus ftw XD

Edit -> Also Flash-Block and No-Script.
    Yesterday it worked.
    Today it is not working.
    Windows is like that.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've only ever had virus-related problems with Windows, and that was from stupid choices on my part.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I use Anti-Virus on my Windows machines. Why? Because no matter how smart I am when web browsing, or what protection I use. Windows is not safe.
    Specifically I use Malwarebytes. It is an on-demand, free AV/Malware and doesn't hog up your resources. It is also good at finding very obscure and less common viruses which most major commercial offerings do not find. That is what the company behind Malwarebytes specifically aims to provide for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipped OuT View Post
    When ever that happens to me, I just exit my web browser immediately. Duh. lol...
    Unless you're proactively blocking all possible attack vectors, once you go to a site, you can be infected, or attacked. The physical act of you actually Downloading something is not required to get infected...Do you download cookies? No, the web browser creates them automatically, as well as runs code from Websites. The mere viewing of a site is enough to do this.

Only things like NoScript (among others) can actively help you block [java]scripts from running in a web browser at a website you've never been to before. However it does not mean that there is no chance.
    Happy geeks are effective geeks!
    AMD Athlon II X2 250 (3.0ghz), Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P, 3GB Crucial DDR3-1066Mhz RAM, XFX ATI RadeonHD 5750 1GB GDDR5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I pretty much never use an anti-virus in ubuntu, I do install clam on fresh installs just in case I need to check something for a windows using friend. but slowly iv been switching my friends to ubuntu. well, the ones that aren't gamers anyway. so at this point its pretty much just a novelty.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Firestem4 View Post
    Unless you're proactively blocking all possible attack vectors, once you go to a site, you can be infected, or attacked. The physical act of you actually Downloading something is not required to get infected...Do you download cookies? No, the web browser creates them automatically, as well as runs code from Websites. The mere viewing of a site is enough to do this.

Only things like NoScript (among others) can actively help you block [java]scripts from running in a web browser at a website you've never been to before. However it does not mean that there is no chance.
    Ah, I see. Well, I must be one lucky nugget, either that, or I have some sort of infection that I'm not noticing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast