Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: new xf86-input for macbooks and other multitouch-touchpads.

Beans

Re: new xf86-input for macbooks and other multitouch-touchpads.

i got it working now with latest lucid packages karmic ppa bcm5974 package and latest git master.

furthermore i had to configure the driver in xorg.conf.

the driver works pretty good. but i have problems with drag and drop and text highlighting because of the movement of the pointer when i click to drag.

regards
    finy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I mentioned the developments on the home page of mac.linux.be. Comments are welcome
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by finy View Post
    i got it working now with latest lucid packages karmic ppa bcm5974 package and latest git master.

furthermore i had to configure the driver in xorg.conf.

the driver works pretty good. but i have problems with drag and drop and text highlighting because of the movement of the pointer when i click to drag.

regards
    finy
    Are you saying that drag and drop with one finger behaves differently on the integrated button version than on the others?

Beans

no, if i want to highlight text or drag something i usually click with my right thumb, hold it and use another finger to move the cursor. and at clicking with the right thumb the cursor moves away from the position i want to click.

i just found out that if i have the second finger on the trackpad as i'm clicking then it's ok and almost no movement.

i use a macbook pro 5,5 without tapping enabled.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by finy View Post
    no, if i want to highlight text or drag something i usually click with my right thumb, hold it and use another finger to move the cursor. and at clicking with the right thumb the cursor moves away from the position i want to click.

i just found out that if i have the second finger on the trackpad as i'm clicking then it's ok and almost no movement.

i use a macbook pro 5,5 without tapping enabled.
    Oh, I see - thanks for explaining this further. Will be looked into.

Cheers!

Beans

thank you!
    i think mac os x locks the position somehow if it detects a click.

Beans

Ok, let's see if this is the explanation. The driver deliberately treats a single finger in the clicking area as a pointing finger, which will move the mouse just as if the finger was placed in the middle of the pad. If this is not how it works on the integrated trackpad, it explains the behavior finy is talking about - first move the pointer with a finger, then lift the finger, and use the thumb to press the clicking area. Normally, the thumb, as a pointing finger, is less inexact and will cause the pointer to move slightly before the click is executed.

If this is the case, the fix is really easy - the special case for a single finger just needs to be removed, rather saying that a finger in the clicking area _never_ causes any movement. Correct?

Beans

Please consider editing up-to-date install instructions into the first post and/or the website.

Sifting through the thread to try and piece them together is especially challenging with a touchpad that's not yet behaving properly.
    Last edited by *Legion*; April 17th, 2010 at 03:06 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by *Legion* View Post
    Please consider editing up-to-date install instructions into the first post and/or the website.

Sifting through the thread to try and piece them together is especially challenging with a touchpad that's not yet behaving properly.
    Good idea, except it would have to be post number three...

The question out there right now is for the integrated button trackpad, whether a single finger at the bottom of the pad moves the cursor, but possibly stays still as the finger pressure increases during a click, or whether the finger simply does not move at all in the clicking area.

Beans

sorry for the long delay,
    i took a look at how the touchpad behaves in mac os x.

if i click and hold with one finger it is possible to move this finger over the whole pad and perform actions like drag and drop, text highlighting and to span the selection band.

if i click with the first finger in the upper half of the touchpad, it is possible to use the second finger to move the cursor as long as the second finger is in the upper half.
    if i click with the first finger in the bottom half of the touchpad, i can use the whole pad with the second finger.

furthermore it is not possible to move the cursor with the balm, but if you have the balm on the pad it is full useable with the other hand (it is not generally locked or something).

the important part is, that the cursor does not move if you click with a finger, but does move if you slide your finger away.

a right click is detected if both fingers are not to far away from each other. the max. distance is greater horizontal and a little less in the vertical direction.

The question out there right now is for the integrated button trackpad, whether a single finger at the bottom of the pad moves the cursor, but possibly stays still as the finger pressure increases during a click, or whether the finger simply does not move at all in the clicking area.
    it seems that the finger does not move at all in the clicking area. but i don't know how they managed to do this. it is really great to use. the cursor does not move if i click but does instantly move if i slide the finger away. the detection seems to be more granular than simple lock the movement at click. don't know.

Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast