Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: new xf86-input for macbooks and other multitouch-touchpads.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: new xf86-input for macbooks and other multitouch-touchpads.

Quote Originally Posted by arturoc View Post
    anyway, whats the best way to submit the changes?
    I guess you could post it here?
    That way I can try it out too
    NiñoScript.age = new Number(16); //(>^;^<)
    (Wow, I did that signature when I was 16… I'm 20 now… it's sad to see how I'm slowly getting old u.u)

Beans

here it is, i've been talking with henrick and the code needs some more cleaning but the functionality is pretty solid as far as i've tested. post if you find something wrong.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

lots of errors like this ones:
    Code:
    src/gestures.c:###: error: ‘struct MTouch’ has no member named ‘ohs’
    src/gestures.c:###: error: ‘struct MTouch’ has no member named ‘nhs’
    What am I missing? Did you change the definition of that struct?

It is defined in mtouch.h like this: […] struct State os, ns;

(I changed those names and installed, but if I'm missing something, please tell me )
    Last edited by NiñoScript; March 16th, 2010 at 07:29 PM.
    (Wow, I did that signature when I was 16… I'm 20 now… it's sad to see how I'm slowly getting old u.u)

Beans

hey sorry

i began to modify the code and didn't realize when i posted. here's the correct files
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a little problem… If I put two fingers in the upper part of the trackpad, and scroll from there, I get logged out of gnome! :O

I started having these seemingly random logouts, and after a while I realized that it had to do with the trackpad.

Do you think this has to do with this drivers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: new xf86-input for macbooks and other multitouch-touchpads.

Quote Originally Posted by arturoc View Post
    post if you find something wrong.
    The cursor is a lot more stable when clicking, but it suddendly stops recognizing my thumb as the "clicking finger" and gives false right-clicks or starts scrolling.
    That makes it pretty hard to use, so I had to go back the the other version.

BTW, is there anywhere (chat, mail, etc) that I could contact with you? I'd like to help coding, but I open gestures.c and I can't follow it and I'm not sure where to start learning…
    In the meantime, I'll just be your most active beta tester
    (or pre-alpha tester…)

Beans

there are some constants at the beginning of the file that are hardcoded for my computer an i was suspecting that it will work differently for other computers. you can try changing them to see if it makes it work better.

i'm getting no false positives and the thumb is not lost at any time. the way i detect the thumb is by getting the lowest finger , then i check if it's moving in the vertical direction along with the other finger as in mac os x doing that it begins to scroll from a certain threshold. then i check that it's in the lower part of the touchpad that i consider to be of the size of the button in older macbooks.

can you try to identify when it looses the thumb. the constants that affect the thumb detection are:

#define BOTTOM_MOVEMENT_THRES 0.001
    #define BOTTOM_Y_AREA 0.12

i've detected also the crash that you're talking about, want to try with the previous version since it seems something related with a division by 0 given that it only happens at the very top of the touchpad but can't see nothing in my code that can be causing it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't notice changes when I change those constants… maybe I'm doing something wrong, I added this to the makefile:
    Code:
    everything:
    	make clean
    	make install
    	modprobe -r bcm5974
    	modprobe bcm5974
    is that ok for testing?

Beans

no, that reloads the touchpad kernel module, what you want to reload is the xserver multitouch driver. you need to close the session and start login again or:

sudo service gdm restart

btw. is there a way to tell xserver to reload a driver without restarting it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, that works, to me it works better with bigger numbers.
    I'm trying now with these numbers:
    Code:
    #define BOTTOM_MOVEMENT_THRES 0.111
    #define BOTTOM_Y_AREA 0.22
    I think I can lower BOTTOM_Y_AREA a bit, and BOTTOM_MOVEMENT_THRES a lot, but at least I felt the change

What I've noticed from the MacOSX driver, that makes it really accurate, is that the movement of the cursor is proportional to the speed of your finger, and that is true for scrolling too.
    I somehow feel that this is happening here too, but it speeds up too fast and saturates…
    I'm not sure if you understand what I'm trying to say, as my english is not so good

EDIT:
    Ok, I kind of like it with:
    Code:
    #define BOTTOM_Y_AREA 0.18
    In MacOSX, when you put your finger in the bottom part, it's recognized as the "clicking finger", and then you can do whatever with it, and it won't affect, unless you move it upper than the other finger, so there's no movement threshold and you can get the finger out of the "BOTTOM_Y_AREA" without it starting to scroll.
    Last edited by NiñoScript; March 21st, 2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: english too bad :P

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast