Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lemur UltraThin - Underpowered? Low memory?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Lemur UltraThin - Underpowered? Low memory?

Hi, Greg.

Long time no see (...hear? ...write). Happy Turkey Day.

Well, it is much lighter than the DarU1. For an ultra-thin lappy, it is reasonably solid, I think. Very nice, attractive machine.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Thanks, Tom.

Yes, very long time since I've been on the forums. Still a '76 fanboy though
    Michigan LoCo Team: Wiki Page / Forum / #ubuntu-us-mi on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Found this chart listing the performance of the SU7300 CPU in comparison with other CPUs. Just kind of gives you a general idea of where it falls, performance-wise.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...00+%40+1.30GHz

Looks not too bad to me. Remember, this is an ultrathin laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Paul, it seems like the 7200 is fast but noisy. I'd recommend the intel ssd or just get a cheaper ssd separately and add it in. It'd be much better in performance, power, heat, and noise. The main reason I wanted the HDD is for the storage space or I would've gotten the SSD in the first place.

Build quality is ok. It's definitely designed for light weight more than durability but I don't feel like it's too fragile. If you're expecting it to get banged around a lot this probably isn't the best laptop to buy though.

I'd take those passmark benchmarks with a grain of salt. You can see on there that many of the processors benchmarked were not running at full speed for the benchmark. Since the architecture is the same you should be able to compare clock speeds with other core 2 duo models to get an idea how they compare. The base model in the pangolin is roughly comparable to a 1.8 ghz core 2 duo from what I've read.

Beans

Paul, it seems like the 7200 is fast but noisy.
    Thanks for the info. That's disappointing. Is it a whine, clicking sound (seek to track), or the fan which generates the most noise? I'm not too worried about clicking sounds or fan noise, but a high-pitched whine might be difficult for me to tolerate. I once had a desktop computer with a Quantum Fireball HDD that drove me up the wall.

Regarding seek to track, depending upon the manufacturer, it may be possible to adjust the hard drive performance so it's quieter, by using a manufacturer-supplied utility. Basically, this would just cause the seeks to take a little longer, so they would be less jarring (clicks would not be so loud).

This post reported that the fan makes a lot of noise when the SSD is installed.

Also, I know someone who bought the MacBook Air when it first came out, and it kept overheating, so he had to return it to the factory, where they basically scaled down his CPU. So, I guess those SSDs can run pretty hot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stone View Post
    Regarding seek to track, depending upon the manufacturer, it may be possible to adjust the hard drive performance so it's quieter, by using a manufacturer-supplied utility. Basically, this would just cause the seeks to take a little longer, so they would be less jarring (clicks would not be so loud).
    Automatic Acoustic Management. Use at your own risk. Looks like hdparm might be able to do it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ian505 View Post
    I've been drooling over a S76 Lemur UltraThin for a while now, as my 8 year old Compaq Presario 900 is really showing it's age. The optical drive kicked the bucket a few years back, I've closed the lid on a mouse cord and damaged the LCD, no integrated wifi and the PCMCIA card slot is becoming flaky.

I am planning on buying the Lemur as of now, but need a several questions answered first.

1. [ANSWERED] Is the Core 2 Duo SU7300 1.3Ghz sufficient? Can you play 1080p YouTube videos on it smoothly, assuming you wait for it to buffer? The same for Hulu at 480p? What can't it do? - No 1080p, streaming or otherwise, but YouTube HD and Hulu 480p works. DVD-quality (720p) in h264 works as well.
    2. [ANSWERED] Is the CPU soldered in? - Yes.
    3. [ANSWERED] Is there only one DIMM slot on the machine? Is the memory upgradeable, or soldered in? - One, user upgradeable DDR3 slot.
    4. [ANSWERED] Is it possible to disassemble the laptop for cleaning? It doesn't need to be easy, and ribbon cables aren't a problem, but I do like to do it ever few months. - A few panels on the bottom that allow for blowing dust out, but total disassembly will void warranty.
    5. [ANSWERED] How long does the battery last? I would assume the LED screen would help increase battery life significantly. - No scientific testing done, but appears to be ~4-5 hours.
    6. [ANSWERED] Is the hard drive user upgradeable? I want to be able to upgrade it to an SSD next August when the prices become reasonable. - Absolutely yes.
    7. What voltage DC does the machine run on? And if it's 12V, is it REALLY 12V or is it like a car battery where it says 12V but is really 13.8V?
    8. Is the battery user-replaceable? Will you stock replacement batteries in the future, to replace those that've worn out?
    9. [ANSWERED] Does it get hot? What I mean by this is does it make your legs warm enough to make it uncomfortable on a hot summer day? - Not too bad, though would probably be uncomfortable in the sun on a summer day.
    10. [ANSWERED] Is it noisy? Are the fans loud? A dB rating would be nice... - Not particularly - the HDD is the loudest of everything.
    11. [ANSWERED] Will a third party USB optical drive work as a boot device? - Yes.
    12. [ANSWERED] How long does it take to boot? - Roughly thirty seconds.
    13. [ANSWERED] Once booted, are all the menus instantly responsive, somewhat delayed, or painfully slow? - Not lightning fast, but responsive enough.
    14. [ANSWERED] How much is shipping to 20637, assuming the bag was not purchased? - $15.66 as of Tues November 24, 2009 @ 5:48PM

If you only know the answer to some of the questions, please please post them instead of waiting to get all of them to post. Also, if you aren't absolutely sure of the answer your giving, please say so.

Thanks,
    Ian

NOTE - If you have anything you can contribute, please do so even if a question is marked answered!
    Just an FYI for anyone still interested. The Lemur (lemu1) can (I REPEAT CAN) play 1080p videos effortlessly. I just tested it with this[1] trailer. I've noticed that using the multi-threaded version of mplayer (i.e. mplayer-mt) is required when playing certain HD videos which would otherwise struggle. With mplayer-mt ANY video file I throw at it gets played smoothly.

After about 4 months of usage, I now have an average battery life of 2 hours and the fan now makes a distinct sound whenever it turns on. In a quiet room, this is very noticeable, with ambient noise, not so much.

Of course I should also mention that I run a Debian (squeeze) 32-bit bigmem kernel on the Lemur.

References:
    [1] http://www.dvdloc8.com/clip.php?movieid=12954&clipid=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Spare / replacement batteries for the first-generation Lemur are available on http://www.system76.com/product_info...products_id=68 . I would assume that ones for the second-gen either are the same or will be posted on that page shortly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tonyyarusso View Post
    Spare / replacement batteries for the first-generation Lemur are available on http://www.system76.com/product_info...products_id=68 . I would assume that ones for the second-gen either are the same or will be posted on that page shortly.
    Exactly. They should also be the same price ($95), although the battery itself is just a little bit different.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stone View Post
    Found this chart listing the performance of the SU7300 CPU in comparison with other CPUs. Just kind of gives you a general idea of where it falls, performance-wise.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...00+%40+1.30GHz

Looks not too bad to me. Remember, this is an ultrathin laptop.

...wow, the Lemu1's processor ranks pretty well. How is it possible that a 1.3 ghz core2duo processor ranks so well against processors with higher ghz numbers?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast