Hi, Currently I have a 500gb hard disk. Here is the scheme of things

mahiyar@mahiyar-desktop:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x4a224a21

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 10198 81915403+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 10199 27099 135757282+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda3 54399 60801 51432097+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda5 10199 15297 40957686 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda6 15298 21117 46749118+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda7 26597 27099 4040316 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda8 21118 26596 44010036 b W95 FAT32

Partition table entries are not in disk order

So as sda1 is the windows partition, sda2 is extended containing swap, and other partitions, sda3 is the Karmic partition. Currently win xp and karmic are existing together peacefully with grub 2 and all. Now if I wish to install windows 7 and also decide to keep win xp (windows 7 will be on a try out basis), whats the best way of going about. Please advise.
    Ignorance is the parent of fear . . . MobyDick

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Triple Boot

It is always best to install to a primary partition, it looks like you have one left. Win7 will install to a logical partition and combine its boot with the XP boot. But if you ever delete XP you will have to reinstall Win7. In windows you choose which windows to boot. From grub you can only choose the one windows that has the boot files.

There is a work around if you want. All versions of windows must be in primary partitions. You then from windows can only boot one of the windows but from grub can choose either directly.

To get each MS to have its own boot loader make a partition and set its boot flag on, then install the 2nd product in it. Multibooters, Pictures here worth 1000+ words
    http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html
    A user who installed two windows & it worked to boot from grub directly
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1271600
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How about this ---

I have another SATA drive of 180GB lying around. I disconnect the current 500gb drive, and connect the 180GB drive. Install windows 7 on it. After the install is complete and all I reattach the 500Gb drive, make it first device from BIOS, now my old grub menu and all would be availabe, once I go in Ubuntu I run grub-config command where it will automatically catch Win 7 entry.

Is this scheme OK?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Should work that way. Grub2 will automatically add the map commands now mapdrive in grub2 to make windows still think it is first when you select it.

I always like having each operating system on a separate drive and having that drive MBR boot to that drive. Since Windows is not easy to boot to other, having grub/Ubuntu first makes it easy to also boot windows.

It is good that both drives are Sata as there still seem to be issues with mixed Sata & Pata configurations, and I think it depends on the motherboard/BIOS setup.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks oldfred, so I will go ahead with my plan, maybe next week after I complete this exercise successfully, I will write a final post and mark the thread solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    It is always best to install to a primary partition, it looks like you have one left. Win7 will install to a logical partition and combine its boot with the XP boot. But if you ever delete XP you will have to reinstall Win7. In windows you choose which windows to boot. From grub you can only choose the one windows that has the boot files.

There is a work around if you want. All versions of windows must be in primary partitions. You then from windows can only boot one of the windows but from grub can choose either directly.

To get each MS to have its own boot loader make a partition and set its boot flag on, then install the 2nd product in it. Multibooters, Pictures here worth 1000+ words
    http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html
    A user who installed two windows & it worked to boot from grub directly
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1271600
    +1 can't go wrong there.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok. Success, without a hitch. Disconnected the original drive, connected the second smaller drive, installed windows 7 on it, reconnected the back the original drive (keeping the smaller one), made it bootable, booted to Ubuntu ran update-grub, win 7 discovered, that was all, now I have ubuntu 9.10, winxp and win7 from single menu. grub2 is really powerfull. Marking the thread as solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What happens to the assigned letters to these volumes?
    Won't you have 2 C:\ assignment for your volumes?

Hope the question is clear :\
    Last edited by xinam; September 5th, 2010 at 02:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

which ever windows install you boot into will have it's root as C:, the other will be assigned another letter designation. Example: Windows vista and windows 7 are installed as described above. When you boot Vista- it's root will be assigned C; and 7's will be assigned another letter which will be determined by what other partitions/disks you have on your machine. When you boot into 7, 7's root will be assigned C; and vista's will be assigned another letter depending on the other partitions/disks on your machine.

When using Linux and GRUB we need to forget the windows way of assigning partitions/disks designations (C:, D:, E:, etc.) because that means absolutely nothing in Linux. It only means something in Windows.
    Last edited by presence1960; September 5th, 2010 at 03:08 AM.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank You presence1960,
    I knew that these didn't matter on the Linux side.

Just didn't know that they would readjust (as I seem to understand) dynamically whether you would boot on 7 or Vista or XP.

Trying this install at the moment:

Installed Windows XP on [sda] (931GB) and on created Primary partition label=WinXP (40GB) NTFS [sda1]
    Unplugged [sda]
    Installed Windows 7 on [sdb] (69GB) and on created Primary partition label=Win7 (69GB) NTFS [sdb1]
    Plugged back [sda]
    Used GParted to create other partitions on [sda] (Didn't find any way to create an extended partition from Ubuntu Desktop 10.04)
    Created Extended partition on [sda] 1024MB away from [sda1] (Leaving space for Ext4 /boot partition)
    Created Logical partition label=Data (40GB) NTFS [sda4]
    Created Logical partition label=Download (60GB) NTFS [sda5]
    Created Logical partition label=Game (100GB) NTFS [sda6]
    Created Logical partition label=Media (613GB) NTFS [sda7]
    Created Logical partition label=Share (32GB) Fat32 [sda8]

Reboot and put Ubuntu Desktop 10.04 DVD:

Pressed any key at the splash screen (as it crashes on start up)
    Chose "Try Ubuntu without installing"
    Clicked on icon "Install Ubuntu 10.04"

Chose advanced partitioning:
    Created Primary partition mount=/boot (1GB) [sda3] Ext4
    Created Logical partition mount=/ (12GB) [sda9] Ext4 (on remaining space after [sda8])
    Created Logical partition mount=/home (28GB) [sda10] Ext4
    Created Logical partition swap space (5GB) swap space

Continuing install (Don't know where to tell the boot loader to install on [sda3] mount=/boot it defaults to tell it installs on [sda])

At the end of the install an error message poped up (should have written it down )

Rebooted

(No boot menu) Win7 boots ok, but shouldn't Ubuntu boots first now that I suppose GRub is installed? If not, how would I manually install GRub on [sda3] mount=/boot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast