Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

I replaced amd64 with i386 in two places, once in each of the first two commands.

Beans

Not sure why that wouldn't work, unless 2.6.31-20 isn't the kernel you are running... it's a fresh copy of the module... from the directory you extracted from try:
    Code:
    sudo insmod lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.ko
    If that doesn't work you can reinstall your kernel package, but it will break any stuff you've done to it like wireless etc. That's a worst-case thing to do though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes

That last command get my touchpad working again.

For the record, my touchpad is still being recognized as a wheel mouse.

Also, I would recommend structuring your tutorial similar to this one, where the backup instructions are at the beginning and given special attention.

Thanks for your help in getting my touchpad working again. We will have to continue working together to see if we can get my touchpad recognized correctly.

Beans

You should be able to do this then:
    Code:
    sudo cp lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.ko /lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.ko
    sudo modprobe -r psmouse
    sudo modprobe psmouse
    That will fix it permanently, if you rebooted now it wouldn't work until you ran the insmod.

Edit: In terms of recognizing the touchpad, the patch set works fine for me.
    Last edited by ALLurGroceries; April 26th, 2010 at 07:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yea, I noticed that it didn't persist across a reboot.

I followed your instructions, and now it does persist across a reboot.

I am going to try and apply the patches again.
    Last edited by Bender2k14; April 26th, 2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Beans

Sorry, it was my fault. I tried it from a clean source tree and it did the same thing for me. I wrote the guide using the commands for my source tree that had already been built in since I always build my own kernel. If the source tree is clean, building the module won't produce any errors but trying to insmod it will result in an error in the system log: "no symbol version for module_layout". So we need the kernel headers and to change the command line for make. Generically:
    Code:
    make -C /path/to/linux-headers/ SUBDIRS=/path/to/linux-source/ path/to/module.ko
    I updated my post, give it another try, and if I need to make any changes let me know. This time I took your advice and put the backup instructions at the top.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Great work...thanks for your continued help.

As I just said on the bug report, I think your instructions worked, but it does not seem like the patch worked for me.

I am very excited get this bug fixed because it greatly affect my ability to use my system. Thank you very much for helping so much

Beans

OK, glad it worked. Or my directions worked... sorry that the patches didn't.

First, look at /var/log/syslog, do a:
    Code:
    grep -i elantech /var/log/syslog
    The important lines are like this:
    Code:
    elantech.c: Synaptics capabilities query result 0x79, 0x13, 0x0d.
    elantech.c: Elantech version query result 0x04, 0x04, 0x11.
    elantech.c: assuming hardware version 2, firmware version 4.17
    Paste the output on the bug report, I'll see it there.

If it says assuming hardware version 1, that is the problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ALLurGroceries View Post
    OK, glad it worked. Or my directions worked... sorry that the patches didn't.
    What is the probability of these patches being applied to the official kernel?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Last edited by Bender2k14; April 29th, 2010 at 04:17 AM.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast