Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

Beans

Re: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

Thank you very much ALLurGroceries.
    I succeeded applying the patch to my asus U30Jc on Ubuntu 10.04.
    Touchpad is properly recognized as Elantech touchpad and I can turn off the tapping.

However, one problem remains.
    The problem is that the cursor moves when I touch the pad.
    For example, when I touch the right side of the pad, the cursor moves to the right side.
    The situations of top, bottom, and left are also similar.
    And I can not scroll with the touchpad.
    I think scrolling may be correct when the solution for the cursor is found.

Are there the solution for this problem?

Beans

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that the cursor jumps if you put your finger on a different side of the touchpad from where it was last?

Make sure you are using two finger scrolling. Edge scrolling will not work on most of these elantech touchpads as far as I know.

Beans

Thank you for your reply, ALLurGroceries.

Sorry for my poor English.
    Maybe, I could not tell you what I want to say.

It is right that the cursor jumps if I put my finger on the touchpad.
    But I mean that coordinates on the touchpad where I put my finger seem to synchronize with the position of the cursor on the display.
    If I put my finger on the right part on the touchpad, the cursor jumps to the right side on the display.

I think that the touchpad has the information of the absolute coordinates.
    But I want the touchpad to have only relative positions.
    I hope the same operation regardless of the position where I put my finger.

Unfortunately, I can not use both two finger scrolling and edge scrolling under the present situation.

Beans

Hm, the elantech driver is designed to work in absolute mode, so I think your touchpad must have a different protocol or one of the registers acts differently. You can try fuzzing reg_10 with different values (from 00 to ff -- hexidecimal), it should be 0x54 by default. For example:

Code:
    sudo sh -c "echo 0x54 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio5/reg_10"
    Your touchpad may be on a different port than serio5, you can find out by looking at the output of:
    Code:
    grep -i elantech /var/log/dmesg
    If you post the output from the last command it may help. Especially the part about capabilities query result and the firmware version.

Beans

I'm sorry for my late reply.

The result of the command is following:
    Code:
    $ grep -i elantech /var/log/dmesg
    [   14.899976] elantech.c: assuming hardware version 2, firmware version 4.1
    [   14.929576] elantech.c: Synaptics capabilities query result 0x7e, 0x13, 0x0d.
    [   15.009599] input: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input8
    My touchpad uses serio4 instead of serio5.
    The directoty (serio5) does not exist and I did not try to write the value into reg_10.

Beans

Sorry, if my english is not very well =)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLurGroceries View Post
    Code:
    if [ $TPSTATUS = 0 ]; then
       xinput set-int-prop $XINPUTNUM "Synaptics Off" 8 1
       if [ -e /sys/class/leds/asus::touchpad/brightness ]; then
            echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/asus::touchpad/brightness
       fi
    else
       xinput set-int-prop $XINPUTNUM "Synaptics Off" 8 0
            echo 1 > /sys/class/leds/asus::touchpad/brightness
       fi
    fi
    ALLurGroceries, thank you very much for your work, it's work almost perfect =)
    This part of script doesn't work, if
    Code:
    syndaemon -i 1 -d
    launched. Touchpad goes off, but if I typing anything, it's on...
    I replaced this part of script:
    Code:
    if [ $TPSTATUS = 0 ]; then
       sinp=`ps -A|grep syndaemon| awk '{print$1}'`
       xinput set-int-prop $XINPUTNUM "Synaptics Off" 8 1
       kill $sinp
            echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/asus::touchpad/brightness
       fi
    else
       xinput set-int-prop $XINPUTNUM "Synaptics Off" 8 0
       syndaemon -i 1 -d
            echo 1 > /sys/class/leds/asus::touchpad/brightness
       fi
    fi
    and all worked perfectly

Beans

That's interesting, and it makes sense. I hadn't noticed because I don't actually use syndaemon... Thanks for that, I updated my post with your tweak.

Beans

First of all, thanks ALLurGroceries for your help

My laptop is an ASUS N61JQ and I am using Ubuntu 10.4. I have followed the steps in posts #44 and #73. I have found some problems:

- After disabling the touchpad with Fn+F9, it is automatically reenabled if I type and the option "Disable touchpad while typing" is checked in System > Preferences > Mouse > Touchpad. It kind of works the opposite way as what the option says. The problem disappears if you uncheck that option, so I think this should be added to your tutorial, ALLurGroceries.

- The touchpad is reenabled at startup even if I disabled it before rebooting with Fn+F9. Is there any way to make the change permanent? This also happens with the keys for screen brightness, so I would appreciate if someone told me how to make the changes to the brightness permanent too.

Thanks again for your help, it really makes a difference and makes it possible for me to enjoy Linux in the laptop It was very annoying to accidentally touch the enabled touchpad before.

Beans

Wanchu, this problem was addressed by Felixoid a couple of posts up. You can replace the entire script with the one listed in my post here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...51#post9271851 or you can just make the modifications in the post above, either way the end result is exactly the same.

There is no way to make the touchpad disabled on startup from keeping the last setting, at least without a custom script. This is not part of the acpid scripts' functionality.

If you always want it disabled at every startup, just add a startup item under System->Preferences->Startup Applications and click Add, then enter the command:
    Code:
    synclient TouchpadOff=1
    You can still re-enable the touchpad with Fn+F9 normally.

Beans

Thanks for your quick and complete answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLurGroceries View Post
    Wanchu, this problem was addressed by Felixoid a couple of posts up. You can replace the entire script with the one listed in my post here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...51#post9271851 or you can just make the modifications in the post above, either way the end result is exactly the same.
    What I mean is that Felixoid's solution doesn't work if the "Disable touchpad while typing" option is checked in System > Preferences > Mouse > Touchpad. That is why I suggested adding that note to the tutorial.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast