Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Elantech touchpad improperly recognized as “ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse”

I just want to say thank you very much for this post! This was a problem that started bugging me the second I got my dell mini 10 netbook and put lucid on it.

There is one major annoyance that I'm having though. I can't decide whether it's more annoying than the old problem. I can at least type without the touchpad being as sensitive as a baby's skin, but my new problem occurs when i'm using both hands on the touchpad.

If I am using my right hand to move the mouse, and then my left hand to click at the same time, the cursor jumps to the bottom left corner of the screen. This does not happen vice-versa (move with left and click with right). Is there any known solution for this? If I can't used to it I may have to go back to the old driver which will make me sad =[.

Beans

I was not aware of this problem, so I have no solution. Are you using tap-to-click? If you have two fingers on the pad at the same time you might try toggling two finger scrolling to stop the cursor from moving. That's just a wild guess.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tried turning off tap to click, and also turned of tapbutton2 and tapbutton3. Neither of those fixed it. Playing with the JumpyCursorThreshold or turning off TapAndDragGesture doesn't seem to do anything either.

Beans

What kind of machine are you on? Does it have integrated mouse buttons (like a macbook pro) where you push down on the touchpad surface? You might want to read man synaptics and tweak HorizResolution or VertResolution to compensate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

it's a dell mini 10 and yes it has integrated buttons. however it doesn't happen on the click itself, it happens on the touch. if i were moving the mouse with one finger, and then touch anywhere left of that on the touchpad it happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thanks, setting the areabottomedge seems to be a very acceptable workaround.

Beans

Cool, if you post the value(s) that worked for you I'll update my post with the directions.

Edit: Oh wait, you just set AreaBottomEdge... nvm. Gotcha

Edit 2: Updated the post with the tweak (at the bottom).
    Last edited by ALLurGroceries; June 14th, 2010 at 09:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I will say that from time to time it still does the jump but it is is much less often and certainly manageable. All in all I would still prefer a proper fix if one eventually comes around. I also tweaked the AreaLeftEdge a little bit too and that seemed to make it a little better.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bender2k14 View Post
    Sorry i'm not very techy, just installed linux for the first time aswell.

So there is a good chance if i just wait patiently ubuntu will one day tell me to update stuff and touch pad will magically be detected?
    hehe...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, pretty much. Also those fixes generally come pretty quickly. That post was talking about using the .34 kernel which is going to be used in the Ubuntu 10.10 so we may see it as soon as that (October).

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast