Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HowTO: Comprehensive Guide to Customising GDM and XSplash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HowTO: Comprehensive Guide to Customising GDM and XSplash

Awesome job. Now i have a complete boot -> shutdown theme. Love it. Great job.
    Ubuntu User #29918 | Linux User #501271 |

Beans

Hey guys, I just saw this thread and thought i'd share a little python tool I wrote and posted here. It doesn't cover everything mentioned here but after all the effort to get my login looking pretty I wanted an easy way for mates/family to do it so it covers things like login sound, display user list, autologin with user, appearance and wallpaper.

Hopefully it should be of some use, I've seen one person had an issue already though after they changed settings using gksudo -u gdm gnome-appearance-properties so check your results if you've already customised it!

Patches and fixes are always welcome!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Because of this tutorial I've found out the GUI way of disabling user list via the ALT+F2 - gconf-editor or sudo gconf-editor for ROOT changes. Here's what it looked like for me in apps > gdm > simple-greeter > disable_user_list

Edited: Oh this process did not WORK. I will put different values on the settings and they won't get applied. Pls. don't try this, sorry for the bad info.
    Last edited by AlexanderDGreat; January 4th, 2010 at 06:54 AM.
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Re: HowTO: Comprehensive Guide to Customising GDM and XSplash

What about changing the hardcoded settings? I'm maintaining an Ubuntu remix and I need to set custom XSplash by default, without tweaking configs etc. I can build a custom XSplash package from source to change the hardcoded configs, but I couldn't find them in the source code. Would anybody explain me where are they, please?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shnatsel View Post
    What about changing the hardcoded settings? I'm maintaining an Ubuntu remix and I need to set custom XSplash by default, without tweaking configs etc. I can build a custom XSplash package from source to change the hardcoded configs, but I couldn't find them in the source code. Would anybody explain me where are they, please?
    Have a look at any xsplash-image-theme package in the repositories.

One that I helped build is available here: http://ppa.launchpad.net/zenix-shrav....0~ppa1.tar.gz

Regards
    Iain

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tinivole View Post
    Have a look at any xsplash-image-theme package in the repositories.

One that I helped build is available here: http://ppa.launchpad.net/zenix-shrav....0~ppa1.tar.gz

Regards
    Iain
    Thanks, but they just replace the images in /usr/share/images/xsplash, and I need to change amount of frames. Is there any way to implement this via DEB package? Also it would be great if I could add some throbber sizes, too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shnatsel View Post
    Thanks, but they just replace the images in /usr/share/images/xsplash, and I need to change amount of frames. Is there any way to implement this via DEB package? Also it would be great if I could add some throbber sizes, too.
    Can't exactly remember, but I *think* it is an -f option that you can add to the xsplash command in the /etc/gdm/Init/Default and /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default scripts.

ie:
    Code:
    xsplash -f 30
    Regards
    Iain

Beans
    Distro

You're missing a piece before you can really say this guide is comprehensive

How do you change the pre-xsplash image (and what's displaying that, is it sill usplash)? I'm talking about the white Ubuntu logo that slightly pulsates. On Xubuntu it's the XFCE mouse. I've searched through all images and can't find those to be able to replace them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mocoloco View Post

How do you change the pre-xsplash image (and what's displaying that, is it sill usplash)? I'm talking about the white Ubuntu logo that slightly pulsates. On Xubuntu it's the XFCE mouse. I've searched through all images and can't find those to be able to replace them.
    Pfft - Usplash is not part of the X startup.

I'm pretty certain you can look up many Usplash guides, (I think you just edit /etc/usplash.conf). And you can probably find many themes on gnome-look.org.

Regards
    Iain

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mocoloco View Post

That's USplash. You can find a comprehencive guide to customizing it here and here.

Quote Originally Posted by tinivole View Post
    Can't exactly remember, but I *think* it is an -f option that you can add to the xsplash command in the /etc/gdm/Init/Default and /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default scripts.
    Tweaking configs won't work for me. Is there any way to hardcode that into the app?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast