Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Chromium OS compiled - VMWare image made

Bootstrap?
    Behold! The internet...
    My god, it's full of ads.

Beans

The build process is well documented - it must be, because I was able to do it. As advertised, it is a system with pretty much nothing but the browser, although you can drop into the terminal. It will be interesting to watch how it develops.

Here is a good OT bug, I am sure it isn't Chromium OS fault. It runs fine on my wired network, but on my wireless, it drags so slow it is unusable, and quickly the ancient wireless router I have crashes. Hmmm... Must be time for new equipment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unfortunately (at least for me) chromium OS has to 'see' that one is connected to the internet in order to even be able to log in to use the OS. That sucks: it doesn't even give me the chance to get in and tweak with it to 'make' it 'see' my internet connection. The problem that I have is that I cannot connect through network manager because I use a broadband dongle and for that reason, virtualbox doesn't 'see' that I am connected to a network. And I've been looking forward to trying out google chrome OS on my lappy for quite some time now. Oh well.

-Yos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: Chromium OS compiled - VMWare image made

Everything you need to know about chrome os here The one thing that doesn't sit well with me is that 'You'll have to buy a Chrome OS device'.

-Yos

Beans

[QUOTE=renkinjutsu;8352679]dang it! .. i tried building it myself before i stumbled onto this thread! I managed to get a rootfs.image, but no mbr.image? no idea what i did wrong...

Same problem here.
    I wanted to try it on an eeePC 900.
    I had to comment out some of the wireless stuff, it would not build.
    After that, all went according to plan, except that I have no mbr.image.

any idea where to get one?

I could guess that this is a fairly standard image.
    A very minimalist bootloader that might not even use disk partitions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by CaveMole View Post
    Same problem here.
    I wanted to try it on an eeePC 900.
    I had to comment out some of the wireless stuff, it would not build.
    After that, all went according to plan, except that I have no mbr.image.

any idea where to get one?

I could guess that this is a fairly standard image.
    A very minimalist bootloader that might not even use disk partitions?
    I've attached my one.

Edit: Links for the mbr and the rootfs are now in the first post. Should be useful if anyone wants to build a USB image.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jmmL; November 21st, 2009 at 11:34 PM.

Beans

Thanks jmml for the USB image. So what happens when you try the option to install it from a USB stick? The Chrome OS site says it'll "nuke your drive".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by provoko View Post
    Thanks jmml for the USB image. So what happens when you try the option to install it from a USB stick? The Chrome OS site says it'll "nuke your drive".
    I haven't tried anything with the USB image myself. I don't actually have a working USB stick to hand..
    Well I'm guessing it's just like any other LiveUSB, except that it doesn't sound like it'll give you the option to install along-side another OS (or at least, not without some tweaking on the user's part).

In other developments, it looks like the "desktop" screen of chromium has gone live. Yesterday, you needed an @google.com address, today any old google account will work.

Almost all of the icons are just shortcuts to other websites. The Chess one is weird - with the html5 capabilities of chromium, I though perhaps google would use this. Instead the shortcut is just to a 3rd-party flash-based site.

Calculator, to-do list and notebook don't seem to be working yet. Contacts opens up google talk. It lets me sign in, but I don't know if it works because I don't actually have any contacts that use the service.

Beans

Cool Re: Chromium OS compiled - VMWare image made

I was able to compile and run from usb without problem. Unfortunately, all my hardware is nvidia or ati, did someone succeeded in adding oss drivers?
    There is description how to add package (http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/...-a-new-package), but it still doesn't work (I assume it is not needed to install package or change xorg.conf)

Beans

Hi,

I've got the VM running in Virtualbox on Ubuntu 9.10 runningand can login fine.

However, I can't get any of the non-standard keyboard shortcuts to work. By that I mean the normal browser shortcuts work (F5, F6, CTRL-T etc.) but F8, F12, CTRL-ALT-T don't do anything for me.

Did anyone else find this and did you solve it?

Thanks.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast