Thread: Install 9.10 on G4 Cube

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Install 9.10 on G4 Cube

I have been successful in installing 9.10 on a G4 Cube using the procedure that follow.

First, download the Alternate CD iso and burn to disk.

Second, elected to install a cli only version by inputting "cli-powerpc" at the yaboot 'boot' prompt (without the quotes, of course).

Third, once installed, and after a restart, sign in and
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
    to get all updates.

Fourth, at the 'terminal prompt' once the updates are installed,
    Code:
    cd /etc/X11 #change directory
    sudo nano xorg.conf #open a blank file to input correct parameters for system
    In my xorg.conf file (located in the directory /etc/X11) I put the following information for my system, which has an ATI 128 Rage PF/PRO AGP 4x TMDS video card, and a 15" Apple Studio Monitor (carefully note where quotation marks are and are not used):
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "fbdev"
    BusID "PCI:0:16:0"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    Horizsync 28.0-49.0
    Vertrefresh 60
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Defaultdepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768@60" "800x600@60" "600x480@60"
    EndSubSection
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection
    Then, ^o to write the file, and ^x to exit nano.

Fifth, at the command line prompt, I input
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop
    as I wanted a full fledged Gnome environment, but at this point the user may install the desktop or window manager desired, e.g. icewm, lxde, etc., along with such configuration files needed or desired.

Sixth, once all is installed, cleaned up, etc., then I restart from the command line prompt
    Code:
    sudo restart now -r
    Seventh, at the second yaboot prompt (Boot), select the default (which is Linux for a single os system); do not pass the kernel parameter video=ofonly, as on subject system, this causes the display to "go haywire", becoming unusable. This parameter is also not present in the base /etc/yaboot.conf file.

Standard disclaimer: the above works on a G4 Cube, 576 MB RAM, with a 15" Apple Studio Monitor, Rage 128 PF/PRO video card. Different system? Different parameters will be needed for video card, etc.

Good luck.
    Last edited by avtolle; November 19th, 2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Clarification on video card