Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time Linux User, help needed

Beans

First Time Linux User, help needed

Ok, so I've selected ubuntu as my first Linux experience. And while I want to stay with ubuntu, it's getting rather frustrating.

1) The Evolution mail client doesn't seem to allow multiple, separate email accounts. It just lumps all my emails into one folder, the "inbox" which is really messy. Can anyone advise me how to correct this?

2) It seems that ubuntu has a noticable lag in starting programs, an issue which it is supposed to better windows. My computer is brand new. Does this mean open source isn't as efficient as it is said to be?

3) How do I access the program that controls which OS is chosen on start-up?

4) Is there a way for me to change my user name?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: First Time Linux User, help needed

Quote Originally Posted by X10A View Post
    Ok, so I've selected ubuntu as my first Linux experience. And while I want to stay with ubuntu, it's getting rather frustrating.

1) The Evolution mail client doesn't seem to allow multiple, separate email accounts. It just lumps all my emails into one folder, the "inbox" which is really messy. Can anyone advise me how to correct this?
    you need to make new account. and also on the creation you can set where the acocund emails go etc. i have 4 or 5 of them. thoguh now i switched to Thunderbird as it has a bit more options. or at least it has the ones i need.

2) It seems that ubuntu has a noticable lag in starting programs, an issue which it is supposed to better windows. My computer is brand new. Does this mean open source isn't as efficient as it is said to be?
    this can be for a number of reasons. Linux may have problems compared to Windows, but slowness is not one of them.
    What graphics card do you use? Are propper drivers for it installed? Are the linux drivers for this card good?

How did you install your linux? is it via Wubi? If so then that may be causing the slowdown.

config data is done in grub.cfg. :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

What are you trying to do?
    Yes. i believe it is done in user management.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Someone, please move it to absolute beginner talk(i think.)

This is weird. Check the System Monitor under System > Administration, and kill any haywire processes. Also, are you using 64bit or 32bit? How much is the ram and cpu?
    This is not clear. Are you running a dual boot with windows? Install StartUp-Manager from the Ubuntu Software center, and try and set the time interval to a larger value in the StartUp-Manager.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2845188 is goo. Go to System>Administration>Users and Groups and change the name.

That's all I can say
    EDIT: @mastablasta, sorry for any repeats, I was typing when you posted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    $ sudo -i
    # sed 's/old_username/new_username/g' /etc/passwd /etc/group /etc/gshadow /etc/shadow
    # mv /home/old_username /home/new_username
    # exit
    $ exit
    log out and back in again.
    Mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.

Beans

Welcome to the Forums!

Under "Edit" in Evolution there should be "Filter Rules". From here you should be able to setup the program accordingly.

Open Synaptic Package Manger (System-->Admin-->Synaptic)

In the quick search box type in "preload"

Mark the package for installation and hit "Apply"

That should help with the lag some.

It also might be a drive issue...If you go to "System-->Admin-->Additional Drivers" Does it ask you to install a proprietary driver?

For changing GRUB2 to default boot Windows (Since I'm guessing thats what you want)

Open Synaptic Package Manger (System-->Admin-->Synaptic)

In the quick search box type in "Startupmanager"

Mark the package for installation and hit "Apply"

After it installs (shouldn't take to long on your new computer) open it up by going to System-->Admin-->Startup Manager from here you can change the default timeout and the default OS to boot.

Extra side-note since you are new to Ubuntu. I would install Ubuntu Tweak It makes managing some aspects of Ubuntu easier.

~Caboose
    Last edited by Kirboosy; March 14th, 2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Ubuntu Tweak
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans

Ok, thanks to everyone who offered their advice, appreciate it. I guess it's about getting used to ubuntu since this is my first time other than playing around on LiveCD.

I'm running on a Lenovo Edge 14, supposedly certified for ubuntu 10.1, i5 processor, 4 GB RAM, 32-bit.

I installed ubuntu via a LiveCD.

When I say user, I'm referring to the name that is next to the shut down button? That can be changed with those methods?

And one more question, I find the ubuntu interface a little cramp. While my resolution is 1300+ x 700+, the ubuntu GUI doesn't look and feel as spacy as the window's one. Is it just me? Or can I adjust that? I've tried tweaking with the display settings but it doesn't seem to help.

Beans

Ok, thanks to everyone who offered their advice, appreciate it. I guess it's about getting used to ubuntu since this is my first time other than playing around on LiveCD.

I'm running on a Lenovo Edge 14, supposedly certified for ubuntu 10.1, i5 processor, 4 GB RAM, 32-bit.

I installed ubuntu via a LiveCD.

When I say user, I'm referring to the name that is next to the shut down button? That can be changed with those methods?
    Yes that will change your user name...

And one more question, I find the ubuntu interface a little cramp. While my resolution is 1300+ x 700+, the ubuntu GUI doesn't look and feel as spacy as the window's one. Is it just me? Or can I adjust that? I've tried tweaking with the display settings but it doesn't seem to help.
    You can try changing the Panel Properties (right click on your bar and select properties) You can make the panels slightly smaller.

Are you sure that your display is right because if its slightly off you could feel cramped...
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you are new(ish) to computing or not an expert I Strongly Recommend you leave GRUB alone unless its absolutely necessary....
    'The storm had now definitely abated, and what thunder there was now grumbled over more distant hills, like a man saying "AND ANOTHER THING!" twenty minutes after admitting he's lost the argument'
    -Douglas Adams

Beans

[QUOTE=Caboose885;10559056]Yes that will change your user name...

I'm referring to the name under the name in bold, which is slightly transparent. Another thing is that I've just noticed that after syncing my hotmail account with evolution, my inbox is totally transfered to my computer leaving nothing in my web based account. How do I un-do that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yes that is your user name - upper right corner next to off button. As suggested, install Ubuntu Tweak it will make things more easier to see and change using a graphical interface.

As for Hotmail you should have set it up to leave messages on server. apparently this also needs to be done when you run outlook express in windows for example. It's how POP servers work. to have only image it's best to use IMAP, but hotmail doens't have IMAP.
    anyway, what's done is done, so read through this thread for possible solutions:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1458697
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast