Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDs are fine, DVDs fail

Beans

Unhappy CDs are fine, DVDs fail

I've got a head scratcher that's driving me crazy. My cd/dvd drive plays cds perfectly fine but doesn't recognize dvds at all. Doesn't matter if the dvd is store bought, home-made or blank. Nothing I've tried has worked so I'm asking for help. My machine is an old IBM Thinkpad T40 with a Matshita UJDA745 DVD/CDRW combo drive. I did a clean install of Ubuntu 9.10, and there's no other OS on the system. Everything else works fine. Below are the steps I've already taken.

First I followed the instructions here to no avail.

Then I tried wodim -checkdrive since that appeared to have magically fixed this issue for some people, but not for me.
    wodim -checkdrive
    Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive...
    Detected CD-R drive: /dev/cdrw
    Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
    Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    Version : 5
    Response Format: 2
    Capabilities :
    Vendor_info : 'MATSHITA'
    Identification : 'UJDA745 DVD/CDRW'
    Revision : '1.02'
    Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-ROM.
    wodim: Cannot load media with this drive!
    wodim: Try to load media by hand.
    Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
    Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
    Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R96R
    So, I tried manually installing libdvdread4 as suggested to another person having this issue.
    sudo apt-get install libdvdread4
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    When that failed I manually installed libdvdcss2, but that didn't help.
    sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
    Next I tried manually mounting the drive, but that was a non-starter.
    sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom
    mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0
    sudo mount /media/cdrom0/ -o unhide
    mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0
    Lastly, just for beer and giggles, I tried setting my DVD region code but that didn't help either.
    sudo regionset
    So I'm stumped. Does anyone have a clue as to what I can do to get my dvd drive up and running?

Beans

Re: CDs are fine, DVDs fail

I've tried a few more things, uninstalling vlc, uninstalling and reinstalling medibuntu, etc. but nothing has helped. Am now thinking of trashing and reinstalling Ubuntu to see if that helps, but before I do I thought I'd ask again if anyone has any other suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As far as I see you have problems not with playing DVD but mounting it.
    Can you see the contents of a DVD?
    Bombono DVD | Author DVD Freely

Beans

Sorry for the delayed response, been out all morning. To answer your question, no I can't see DVDs at all. They simply don't mount. With a DVD in the drive I can even force mount. CDs mount and work perfectly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try to see output tail of 'dmesg' program (in terminal) right after you insert DVD.
    Maybe you'll see errors related to DVD there.
    Code:
    dmesg | tail
    Bombono DVD | Author DVD Freely

Beans

I'm still out right now but I'll try that as soon as I get home in a couple of hours and post my results.

Beans

Again, sorry for the delay. Here's what happens when I run the dmesg | tail command. I got the same results whether the DVD was just inserted into the drive, spinning in the drive, or had just stopped spinning. I also get the same results if there's no disc in the drive at all.
    dmesg | tail
    [ 26.480583] agpgart-intel 0000:00:00.0: putting AGP V2 device into 4x mode
    [ 26.480625] pci 0000:01:00.0: putting AGP V2 device into 4x mode
    [ 26.896591] [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
    [ 26.896603] [drm] Loading R100 Microcode
    [ 26.896661] [drm] writeback test succeeded in 2 usecs
    [ 33.044027] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
    [ 67.954749] lib80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'WEP'
    [ 68.840092] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth1: link becomes ready
    [ 79.148027] eth1: no IPv6 routers present
    [ 86.648031] Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -75237867 ns)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Here is something I discovered by accident. DVD's will properly mount more often if I have the file manager (Thunar or Nautilus) open on the desktop when the disk is inserted. Don't know why. Can't imagine how the open file manager could possibly influence the mounting of a DVD, but it does so on my system. Crazy, crazy Ubuntu.
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular
    http://spankmon.wordpress.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 4Orbs View Post
    Here is something I discovered by accident. DVD's will properly mount more often if I have the file manager (Thunar or Nautilus) open on the desktop when the disk is inserted. Don't know why. Can't imagine how the open file manager could possibly influence the mounting of a DVD, but it does so on my system. Crazy, crazy Ubuntu.
    Thanks for the attempt. I tried this just now and it didn't help me at all. I'm thisclose to borking the system and reinstalling to see if that helps. This is totally frustrating!

Beans

You should take into consideration that it is the drive itself, it's not uncommon for drives that are beginning to fail to read cd's but not dvd's or read dvd's and not cd's.

Cd's and dvd's are 'read' differently, though there are different ways to do so they remain sepearate so to speak
    The common solution is for the DVD player or drive to use two lasers at different wavelengths: one for reading DVDs and the other for reading CDs and CD-Rs. Variations on the theme include Sony's "dual discrete optical pickup" with switchable pickup assemblies with separate optics, dual-wavelength lasers (initially deployed on Sony's Playstation 2), Samsung's "annular masked objective lens" with a shared optical path, Toshiba's similar shared optical path using an objective lens masked with a coating that's transparent only to 650-nm light, Hitachi's switchable objective lens assembly, and Matsushita's holographic dual-focus lens.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast