Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sftp doesn't work while ssh works great

Beans

Re: sftp doesn't work while ssh works great

Reinstalled on my netbook. SFTP works fine. All I did was update ubuntu, install openssh-server, and test.
    So as for why it was broken on my netbook and my desktop . . . I guess some package I installed on both broke it? Or something like that? I'll test periodically to try and isolate the incompatible preference/behavior/action. Maybe it will be useful to someone.

Beans

Problem replicated on the clean install!

All I did was install my normal packages using apt-get (about 20 of them).
    I'll go package by package tomorrow and submit a bug report.

Okay that's enough of my monologue. Thanks for your help and have a good night.

Beans

Hi. I have some input, whereas I don't know if it holds to Your problem. Moreover I see, the post is already one year old, but it's the one that shows up as a first in google and can help some other people.

I was logging to sftp server using Nautilus and all worked fine, unless I generated file with public keys in ~/.ssh/id_rsa. The key there was set with passphrase and after that Nautilus stopped working (connecting to server). Deleting this file helped again. I don't know how to go around the paassphrase (mine was set to blank), but maybe it helps somehow.

Greetings,
    Chris.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi, sorry to resurrect an old thread. I also had the problem, but found the solution on this blog post: http://websaucesoftware.com/ubuntu/s...n-ubuntu-10-04

It references the OpenSSH FAQ, which states:

2.9 – sftp/scp fails at connection, but ssh is OK.
    sftp and/or scp may fail at connection time if you have shell initialization (.profile, .bashrc, .cshrc, etc) which produces output for non-interactive sessions. This output confuses the sftp/scp client. You can verify if your shell is doing this by executing:
    ssh yourhost /usr/bin/true
    If the above command produces any output, then you need to modify your shell initialization.
    This solved it for me. I had 'bind' statements in my .bash_rc that produced this error:
    .bashrc: line 249: bind: warning: line editing not enabled
    Solved by detecting the presence of a terminal:

Code:
    case "$TERM" in
    xterm*|rxvt*)
        bind "\"\C- \":  \"git_prompt 'git commit -a'\n\""
        bind "\"\C-x \": \"git_prompt 'git commit'\n\""
        ;;
    esac

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12