Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to record all audio output from sound card in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans

Lightbulb How to record all audio output from sound card in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Have you ever wanted to capture the audio that gets sent to the speaker and save it in a file?

To do this in Ubuntu 9.10, it is quite simple with kees audio pa-clone script

Simply open a terminal, download the script (review it), make it executable and run it. Then simply play the song and stop the script when the song is over.

Code:
    $ wget http://outflux.net/software/pa-clone
    $ chmod u+x pa-clone
    $ ./pa-clone output.wav
    Play your song and then return to the terminal and press CTRL-C to stop the pa-clone script from recording.

Rock on and give thanks to kees for the script. =D>
    http://www.outflux.net/blog/archives...o/#comment-802
    Last edited by komputes; November 20th, 2009 at 04:27 PM.
    My Top Bugs - Launchpad Profile - Wiki Page

Appreciate what the severe effort of many converging wills has produced.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How to record all audio output from sound card in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

when i try to do this i get

max@max-laptop:~$ sudo ./pa-clone output.wav
    Recording to output.wav ...
    Ctrl-C or Close this window to stop
    ./pa-clone: line 21: sox: command not found
    write() failed: Broken pipe

please help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This may fix it.

sudo apt-get install sox
    "Not a window in the house but somehow there's more light..."

Linux Power Tools

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Fancypiper I got to thank you and the OP a lot, i've been stressing ever since i switched to karmic because audacity's settings have changed but now I've found something better thx

Beans

I changed the script a bit, this way, you don't have to define output path in case you need to quickly record something. It will simply write the date and time of the recording in the filename and write it to the home directory.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #This script require sox
    #sudo apt-get install sox
    TIME=$(date +%d-%b-%y_%H%M-%Z)

# Get sink monitor:
    MONITOR=$(pactl list | grep -A2 '^Source #' | \
        grep 'Name: .*\.monitor$' | awk '{print $NF}' | tail -n1)

# Record it raw, and convert to a wav
    echo "Recording. Ctrl-C or close window to stop"
    parec -d "$MONITOR" | sox -t raw -r 44100 -sLb 16 -c 2 - ~/Taped_Recording_$TIME.wav
    I also add an entry to my .bashrc to make aliases for quick recording.

Code:
    alias tape ="~/bin/soundrip.sh"
    Can anyone take this and make it a gnome panel applet for quick graphical recording. I think the functionality is already done (take a look at gtk-recordmydesktop code).

Beans
    Hidden!

I've tried several things including this which doesn't work. Audacity has no success. Neither of the recording devices allow me to capture output and there is no mix option. I use alsa, not pulseaudio. arecord is giving me crap saying something like my pcm doesn't exist or cannot be found. My sound works fine but recording from output is looking impossible and incredibly annoying. It shouldn't be this difficult to record sound through my output.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by komputes View Post
    I changed the script a bit, this way, you don't have to define output path in case you need to quickly record something. It will simply write the date and time of the recording in the filename and write it to the home directory.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #This script require sox
    #sudo apt-get install sox
    TIME=$(date +%d-%b-%y_%H%M-%Z)

# Get sink monitor:
    MONITOR=$(pactl list | grep -A2 '^Source #' | \
        grep 'Name: .*\.monitor$' | awk '{print $NF}' | tail -n1)

# Record it raw, and convert to a wav
    echo "Recording. Ctrl-C or close window to stop"
    parec -d "$MONITOR" | sox -t raw -r 44100 -sLb 16 -c 2 - ~/Taped_Recording_$TIME.wav
    I also add an entry to my .bashrc to make aliases for quick recording.

Code:
    alias tape ="~/bin/soundrip.sh"
    Can anyone take this and make it a gnome panel applet for quick graphical recording. I think the functionality is already done (take a look at gtk-recordmydesktop code).
    Hi Komputers, the script works excellent in a terminal. The only bad thing I found is that the files need much space, there is a way of being able to compress? Show romanization
    Another thing, is there any way to store them in MP3 format instead WAV?

I am doing a graphical application using your script, but when I run it freezes even though continues running, how can i fix it?

Beans

hi techm3,

I usually just use another program to convert to mp3 after I edit it.

However you bring up a good point. Looking at the sox manual, compressing to MP3 in realtime should be possible by modifying this line:

Code:
    to this:
    Code:
    parec -d "$MONITOR" | sox -t mp3 - ~/Taped_Recording_$TIME.mp3
    However when I try this, I get the error: SoX was compiled without MP3 encoding support

Beans

First, thanks to komputes for sharing this script, it is very handy!
    I am using 10.04 Netbook and it works well.

My solution to compressing the output is to add the following to the end of komputes' version of the script (post 5):

Code:
    # Converts the WAV file to OGG then deletes the WAV.
    echo "Captured. Converting to a compressed format, please be patient..."
    sox ~/Taped_Recording_$TIME.wav ~/Taped_Recording_$TIME.ogg
    rm ~/Taped_Recording_$TIME.wav
    Control-c stops sox, but not the script. This creates an .ogg file from the .wav, then deletes the uncompressed file. It takes a bit of time with long recordings, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I switched from pulse audio to alsa because it was skipping so much but now I get this error ./pa-clone: line 21: parec: command not found, please can anyone help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast