Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Authenticating Windows to openLDAP server on Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Re: Authenticating Windows to openLDAP server on Ubuntu 9.10

Well, I have tried, and its not working neither xp or 7. In XP the error showed is "network path not found", but xp workstation can ping samba server to ip and to name. From windows 7 workstation, the error is different: cant contact with an Active Directory in the domain Ibertestint...????
    Maybe I am wrong, but...its necessary to join the domain from the server itself with net rpc command? Maybe its a /etc/hosts wrong setup??
    Last edited by evayroberto; December 2nd, 2009 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you Abishur! Now at least I'm confident to try it.
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by evayroberto View Post
    Well, I have tried, and its not working neither xp or 7. In XP the error showed is "network path not found", but xp workstation can ping samba server to ip and to name. From windows 7 workstation, the error is different: cant contact with an Active Directory in the domain Ibertestint...????

hmm.... first off, just to be sure, you didn't do the reg edit to the XP machines right? The XP machines should be able to connect without any additional changes.

Second are you using a firewall on the Linux computer ? If you are, make sure to have the ports open for Samba (Ports 137-139 and 445).

Finally, if those don't work, go ahead and update to Samba 3.4. It was worth a shot to see if you could get it to work with the samba you already had installed, but no sense in beating a dead horse when you have a nice living one right next to you

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderDGreat View Post
    Thank you Abishur! Now at least I'm confident to try it.
    Good luck Alex! I hope my guide works well for you!
    Last edited by abishur; December 2nd, 2009 at 07:12 PM.

Beans

I'm very confused, because the message is always like Samba is not reachable through the network, but I can ping it with success. No logon window is showed when i try to change the domain in Windows workstation..As far as I know, a window logon must be showed
    The server has not firewall activated.
    Same issues happens when I setup the server as Active Directory member...if problems continues, I think my boss will force us to change to windows environment.

Beans

I'm very confused, because the message is always like Samba is not reachable through the network, but I can ping it with success. No logon window is showed when i try to change the domain in Windows workstation..As far as I know, a window logon must be showed
    The server has not firewall activated.
    Same issues happens when I setup the server as Active Directory member...if problems continues, I think my boss will force us to change to windows environment.
    Yes, when you change to a new domian it should pop up a dialog window asking for authentication to prove you're allowed to join said domain. The problem isn't that the samba server can't be pinged, the problem lies somewhere in the communication between windows and Samba. Basically samba acts as a translator between Linux Networking and Windows Networking, and the older versions of Samba don't quite translate it correctly. Beyond that, I'm afraid my knowledge of the exact details are incomplete other than the fact that I know Version 3.4 does not have this problem while other versions of it do.

This means that while TCP/IP is working and therefore the server is pingable, the actual communication between the two... gets lost in translation.

Beans

Solved again!! The problem was the f...k UFW, I think it was disabled but no.
    From XP it works like a charm!!
    Tomorrow I'll try with windows 7.
    Thanks for all Abishur.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by abishur View Post
    I have used the guide at least 4 times on a clean install of Ubuntu 9.10. It has worked 100% without so much as a hiccup. It should work for you too
    I'm sorry but I do not believe you. At least 3 of your code blocks have formatting errors you have not fixed... amongst other problems I've run into.

While I appreciate the update, I think the predecessor of this article is more bug free.
    Open-source FPS reborn, evolve with us, xonotic.

RIP Nexuiz - 8) Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the ninja arts of xonotic.
    My Themes: Green and Ruby - Karmic Koala for GNOME | Brown ubuntuforums.org for Stylish

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by detrate View Post
    I'm sorry but I do not believe you. At least 3 of your code blocks have formatting errors you have not fixed... amongst other problems I've run into.

While I appreciate the update, I think the predecessor of this article is more bug free.
    This article was created from a word file I have used over 4 times on my own computer without so much as a pause. Furthermore, evayroberto, was able to use this guide to get up and running, so we know for a fact that it works for me and at least one other person. There was an error in my slapd that was created when I copied it into the ubuntu forums (apparently they remove leading spaces). I've done my best to catch these mistakes that the post process created, but if you've noticed one that I've missed, I would appreciate the feedback. However, it helps no one to complain about general "errors" without listing them so I can get them cleaned up.

And with all respect, the reason I made this post in the first place was because of how incomplete the previous post was in relation to 9.10 and even 9.04. It was simply outdated and did not cooperate with the updated software.

So, as I said, if you noticed an error in a code block, please list it so I can get it back to the way its supposed to work. And go ahead and list these "other problems" I mean, it makes no sense not to get help if you hit a unique problem, right?

Beans

This problem...SOLVED!!!
    I had to write all "by" in the same line of "access", not in different lines.
    The configuration continues..
    Hey abishur, first just wanted to thank you for taking the time to make this guide! I am having the same problem evayroberto was having but I am not understanding the solution, can you give a little bit more explanation? I tried to put all the by lines on the same as access but i am getting the same error? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbhr4u View Post
    Hey abishur, first just wanted to thank you for taking the time to make this guide! I am having the same problem evayroberto was having but I am not understanding the solution, can you give a little bit more explanation? I tried to put all the by lines on the same as access but i am getting the same error? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I'm really sorry about this error, the problem lies in the way the forum removes the beginning space from the line. I've made a note about it in the original post so hopefully new people won't hit this problem

OKAY! I finally figured out how to make the file look the way I want it to on these forums! I am REALLY sorry it took so long. Go back and look at the original post to get the correct formatting to make slapd work (smaba is fine)
    Last edited by abishur; December 10th, 2009 at 07:52 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast