Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overheating

Beans

Overheating

Hi all,

I have installed Ubuntu 12.10 today on my laptop. When Im just browsing the web or doing something simple my laptop gets really hot and overheats. The fan is also acting like crazy. I dont have this problem on Windows 7 though.. Can anyone help me figure out the problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Overheating

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

It would be quite helpful if you could post the specs of your machine, such as OEM, model, hardware (especially graphics).

Thanks,

QIII
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

You may also want to install something like pSensor or lm-sensors to monitor your system temps.
    Cheers!
    Phenom II X4 955 Denab BE OC 3.8mhz | 8gig G.Skill 1600 RAM | Corsair 750 PSU | XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 x2 | 1TB WD Black HDD Win7 | 160gig WD HDD Ubuntu 13.10
    --Feel like your question has been answered, mark as SOLVED!

Beans

I have an intel i3 2.1ghz quad-core with an ATI mobility radeon HD 5165 and 4gb RAM. And its a Toshiba sattelite 500. Windows 7 64-bit.

I know that these arent the best specs but I just watch movies or browse the web on my laptop, and I have a strong PC for all the gaming and the hard work.

Thank you for trying to help me =]
    Last edited by Evil Larney; April 10th, 2013 at 02:24 PM.

Beans

So, no one can help me?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello again!

Please remember that we are a world-wide community of people who do this voluntarily and on our own time as we have time. Don't take a delay to be a slight. It could be that the person with the best answer for your issue lives in Kolkata or Oslo and is either asleep, eating, working or spending time with family at the time that you post. The general expectation is that users will wait 24 hours before bumping to let the post make the rounds.

OK.

Do you have the proprietary ATI fglrx driver installed?

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

Im sorry for that, it wont happen again.

I am completely new with this kind of stuff so I dont exactly know what I am doing. That said, I dont have that installed, I cant find information on the AMD site if my graphics card is supported or not. I did find a guide on the ubuntu wiki on how to install it.

again, thank you for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

No need to bother with the AMD site at the moment. Your GPU is supported -- if you are running 12.04.1 or earlier. That series is based on an overclocked HD 4000 series (mysteriously, AMD calls that a "Mobility HD 5000 series), which is not supported from 12.04.2 forward without a kernel patch, the legacy driver and a downgraded X Server.

Does your machine have Intel graphics as well, or just the ATI graphics?
    Last edited by QIII; April 10th, 2013 at 11:05 PM.

Beans

It has just the ati graphics card. So is this easy to fix for someone like me?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

Edit -- I looked back up at your first post.

You have three options:

1. Continuing to use the open Source Radeon driver and adding a utility called Jupiter to manage power consumption (and, thereby, heat).

2. Attempting to install the ATI proprietary driver to see if it will work with that GPU.

3. The option I recommend highly against: Using one of the many scripts that will patch your kernel, downgrade X Server and install the ATI Legacy driver.

Would you like to try Jupiter first?
    Last edited by QIII; April 10th, 2013 at 11:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast