Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Installing sk98lin driver

Beans

Re: Installing sk98lin driver

Did you manage to make it work under Kernel 3.2? I'm currently running 12.04 and the connection randomly stops working since it's using the sky2 driver.

Beans

Hi, all. I have updated my sk98lin-dkms package to the latest version from Marvell and packaged it for Ubuntu Precise. Initial testing on my own system (kernel 3.2.0-26-generic-pae) looks good.

https://launchpad.net/~foresto/+archive/extradrivers/

A few Ubuntu Oneiric users who tried my last package reported that although sk98lin built and installed correctly, the sky2 driver was still in use after they rebooted. I'm not sure why, but it seems that DKMS either failed to add the "blacklist sky2" line in /etc/modprobe.d/ or failed to rebuild the kernel's initrd file afterward. This could be a DKMS bug. In any case, taking care of those things manually apparently fixed the problem.

Please keep the comments coming.

Enjoy!

Beans

Re: Latest sk98lin driver now available as an Ubuntu package

Quote Originally Posted by foresto View Post

If you use it, please let me know how it works for you.
    Thank you so much! It works with my setup of a "Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12)" on AMD64. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 with the generic 3.2.0-26 kernel.

Beans

Just wanted to throw in my two cents. I've tried installing your driver, and manually blacklisting sky2, but that damn driver keeps loading at boot. I even ran Marvell's version, and elected to 'remove' sky2, but it's like a cockroach infestation. Any ideas?

Also, as far as the update-initramfs stage goes (I'm noobish), I think the error in updating initrd is due to this error:

"dpkg: error: version 'uname -r' has bad syntax: version string has embedded spaces" <---this appears 4 times, then it quits with

"update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-27-generic'
    Last edited by AntiKris; August 10th, 2012 at 06:26 PM.

Beans

I've never seen that error message before, but out of curiosity, what is the output when you run uname -r on your system?

This might be related:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1601208

Beans

uname -r gives me 3.2.0-24-generic

Beans

Hi, doesn't works for me on Ubuntu 12.04 3.2.0-31-generic-pae, card 88E8072. I installed your last version, can I do anything after install it.

If I have to rebuild my kernel put please all the necessary instructions.

1.Install your repos
    2.add line "blacklist sky2" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf? I have to do this? Sure? How I can check that sky2 still working?
    3.Rebuild? How?

Thanks for your effort.
    Last edited by venerable13; September 24th, 2012 at 03:07 PM.

Beans

I'm using built-in distro-driver for my network adapters. And now they works fine. The problem was in provider. Damn it.

Beans

Thanks for this comment. Do you want to say that doing nothing it works for you?

What have I to do? Because my ethernet leds stay off, xd.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by venerable13 View Post
    Thanks for this comment. Do you want to say that doing nothing it works for you?

What have I to do? Because my ethernet leds stay off, xd.
    No, not nothing. I just kept going on kicking my Internet provider and he fix the problem with IPv6 at last. The thing was in network solicitation request working different in windows and in Linux.

I don't know what's the problem in your case. But my adapters works fine now. It's: Marvell 88E80001 and 88E8056 (P5B Deluxe motherboard).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast