Thread: Two hard disk drives; which order?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Two hard disk drives; which order?

Hello people,

I'm using a PC with two SATA HDDs; the first one is 200 gb and the second one has 160 gb. Currently I'm using the first one for windows and linux (and some free unformatted space to play with different distros when necessary); the second disk is all dedicated to data. Since I don't need so much space for the OS's, and I prefer to have enough space for my personal data, I was thinking of changing the disk order on the motherboard (plugging the 160 gb in the first SATA slot, and the 200 gb one in the second SATA slot, so the OS's will still be in the first HDD, and the data on the second HDD; I would have reinstall windows and linux, of course, and move my data to the 200 gb HDD, but that's no problem). My question is: is it relevant the fact that the first HDD is the smaller one and the second is the biggest? Would it affect the general functioning of my system? I'm prone to think it's not important, but I once heard someone saying it could affect the system functioning, so I'm not completely sure.

Greetings, and thanks in advance.
    Last edited by odiseo77; November 16th, 2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Readability

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Two hard disk drives; which order?

No it won't affect how the system functions (or shouldn't generally).

Beans
    Distro

Ok, that's what I thought, but I was not sure. Thanks for clarifying my doubt

Greetings!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why don't you run a speed test on both hard disks to see which one is faster?

I strongly suggest to keep the operating systems on the faster hard disk, regardless of the size.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I just checked and it seems both of them work at 7200 rpm, so there's no problem at all, luckily

Again, thank you very much for your advices folks!

Greetings!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by odiseo77 View Post
    Well, I just checked and it seems both of them work at 7200 rpm, so there's no problem at all, luckily

Again, thank you very much for your advices folks!

Greetings!
    RPM is only one factor influencing the actual thruput. There can be substantial differences in speed for hard disks with identical rpm.

On the other hand, it's true that a 7200 rpm disk shouldn't be too slow.